1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at Barnett Waddingham. It is an excellent firm to work for if you are thinking about pursuing an Actuarial career.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone at the firm is very friendly and welcoming, willing to help if you are ever stuck on anything and provide constructive feedback on all tasks.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given lots of support and guidance by everyone at the office, not just my mentor. In fact, the atmosphere is very much one where everyone supports each other, no matter their level.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On a daily basis, I had enough work to occupy myself. There were periods where I didn't have enough work and periods where I felt overwhelmed with work, but it was all good experience.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility straight away during my placement, which continued throughout my time at the firm. You spend most of your time doing client work during the internship.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Massively. Plenty of training sessions were put on for us. We had investment training sessions in securitised credit, LDI and private markets on top of all of the technical training sessions to do with the job. On the actuarial side, we had training sessions on how to calculate CETVs, how to do a funding update and many others.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes. We had regular socials including curry nights, rounders, football tournament, SIAS boat party, team lunches, golf and BBQ.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Quite high (Amersham)
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Minimal, but central London is half an hour on the train.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?