1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my year and found myself in a team that not only pushes me to become a better professional, but also a better person. I was always provided with the help and support I needed and was always given a variety of high valued work that made me rethink how I could tackle the problem.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by everyone that I came into contact with during my time. my team were welcoming from the start and soon became friends that I could contact night and day. I also felt valued by the other interns that were working at my company.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
my manager and supervisor not only offered me support and guidance if I ever felt need to use it, but were also able to tell me about areas that they felt I needed to improve. This allowed me to develop my own skills and constantly gave me targets I could work towards
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was given a variety of tasks that all varied in skill required, length of time to complete and how many other people I worked with. This not only made me use a variety of skills but also made the job more fun and interesting as I never knew what I would be doing next.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my placement I was given complete control of many key areas, both internally and external. This meant that I was in contact with a variety of different people and forced me to think about how I approach each of the tasks that I was given control over
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have not only been able to put the hard skills that I have learnt during my degree into practice, but I have also developed a lot of other key skills that I know will assist me going forward. this includes time management, spoken communication and organisation
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
the atmosphere was friendly and welcoming and I quickly made good friends with a number of different people. however it is also one that pushes for success and there is always something going on that draws the attention of the whole organisation
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
the placement was very well set up. we were given a number of different opportunities for training and development in order to better understand the products and the layout of the organisation. We always had a person in which we could contact for any questions that we may have
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
we received a lot of training and development in a variety of areas, both learning about the product, the history of the company and training out own person skills and professional profiles. all the training we received was relevant and made us feel like a valued member of the company
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
as the organisation is small and they do not offer graduate jobs then future prospects maybe limited. however due to the amazing experience I have had working there, I know I will be looking for future vacancies and will be desperate for any opportunity to come back.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
yes all the other interns were friendly and we soon made a good bond between us. we did lots of activities outside of work that only helped to strengthen our relationship. we also took part in other activities that were organised by the company.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
the area was very student friendly and so not only offered a variety of restaurants and bars but also had many that were at good prices. rent in the area is slightly higher than I had expected however it was all close to what I had experienced elsewhere
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
as the area is big for students the nightlife is very active. there are lots of bars and clubs and the town can become a very busy area on an evening. all the clubs are close to each other and so it is easy to get around town on an evening
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
there was a lot of opportunity to shadow other people in the organisation and experience what their jobs are like. work also organised other activities like playing football and going to watch the cricket which was a real mouthful.