Data Science Intern at Barclays

Knutsford North West
Computer Science

Barclays is a Top Employer

8.1/10

Developed models for specific use cases in the bank

Really enjoyed the internship, everyone was very nice and helpful.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 30 roles at Barclays

I was on a small team of about 4 people so that might of affect this however I felt a very valued member of the team.

My project was quite individual, and most of the work I did on my own however anytime I had a question everyone was happy to answer.

At the start it took about a week or two to set everything up and get started on my project. It was very much up to me how much work I put into the project as it was open ended so I was busy.

I was given a task that was important, however it wasn't crucial for me to succeed in it for the bank. This did reduce the responsibility I was given.

I definitely learned a lot about the industry and other libraries that I can apply to my studies in my final year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 30 roles at Barclays

The atmosphere was generally positive, however as it is an open office and a lot of people have meeting calls so it can get a bit distracting.

Initially before I came I did not know what I would be doing right up until my first day in the office. This was ok because I was placed in a team that I really wanted to be in however for others this could be seen as a problem.

I was constantly challenged and they hosted a lot of sessions with speakers from different areas allowing a lot of learning.

The future prospects are very appealing and there is a lot of room for growth within the team and the whole bank.

Overall there was about 50 interns and there was a good community vibe including a lot of grads joining swell in the middle of the internship.

There is not many things to do in Knutsford and the surrounding area. It is also a very expensive place to live.

There is not many places to go out to nearby however we had some events but they were about 25 minute drive away.

Lot of opportunities to get involved in different sporting / charity events.