Global Markets Summer Analyst at Credit Suisse

Banking - Investment Banking/Finance

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

7.5/10

6.0

Working within the Prime Services division. The internship is made of 4 rotations of the desk that are in the Dublin office including CSR, Risk, Prime Financing and Securities Lending.

I really enjoyed this internship experience. I marked it down solely on the basis that it is a tough internship and that you are continuously being challenged throughout. Although this was something that I enjoyed it could be a struggle for some people. The work could be difficult but it was really rewarding.

Everyone that I worked with was brilliant at offering feedback and providing information. They spoke to me on a daily basis and there was definitely an initiative to make sure that all of us were made feel welcome. It was also very easy to find points of conversation that we could all discuss - which included love island.

Had a great support network within Credit Suisse. Each intern was given a buddy and a mentor. Being able to have a more open relationship with your buddy - being able to discuss your worries and concerns throughout the internship process was hugely valuable to me. My mentor was great at offering more career based advice and it was great knowing that she was down the corridor.

The business varied on a daily basis. Things definitely became more intense throughout the internship and as we approached individual deadlines. However, given that some internships require little to no work I was very grateful for the opportunity to be lost in work even though it did require a lot of hours at times.

Although we didn't take part in "real work" whilst we were in Credit Suisse we did compile newsletters periodically. There was also a huge amount of responsibility tied into the projects that we presented every fortnight and making sure that they were correct and of a good quality. We were also challenged with organizing a charity event. For this one of the interns and I organized a wine tasting and quiz and putting this together and ensuring that it ran smoothly was definitely a challenge.

I learned more about myself within these 10 weeks than I have in the last few years of my life. I have grown in confidence and also have the belief in myself that I can produce something of quality even when under serious time pressure. I also learned that I a well able to socialize in the work place and that I can get along and make jokes with my colleagues which is so important in the financial industry.

There was a great atmosphere in the office. Although everyone was incredibly busy with their work there still was a great vibe around the place. We were really lucky that everyone was so forthcoming when it came to speaking to us. Also there was a recognizably flat structure in CS and this meant that it was very easy to approach people.

The internship was set up incredibly well. From our introductions on day one, to the meetings that were booked in for us on week 2 as an internship you could tell that they were prepared for us. Also having opportunities such as going to London and the efficiency that the booked it for us was great. All of our projects and the final presentation was prepared in advance too.

We were really highly invested in as interns. All of us had our own desks and Bloomberg access - which even included a trip to the Bloomberg office. We had so many meetings with people in Dublin and in London and even the fact that so many showed up to our final presentations highlighted the amount of time that they were willing to put in for us.

We won't know for another month whether we get a job with CS or not. Based on the summer that I have had I would definitely be open to a job with them after college. Like other students I will be looking into other areas however I still love the opportunity to return.

There was a great scene amongst us. Although work became very busy towards the end we sometimes found time for lunch together. We also went for drinks on some of the Fridays. We also had a great time with our other colleagues. The branch organizes a bar of the month and this was a great time to talk to different people from around the office.

Dublin is very expensive at the moment. The price of my accommodation here was in line with what my friends were paying in London. Food and travel is also expensive however due to the salary that you receive as an intern you definitely are able to afford to live and have fun.

The nightlife in Dublin is great with lots of bars and restaurants to go to. There are also a number of clubs throughout the city and due to the population size it's always good fun. Because the city is so small it's pretty easy to get around which is very useful for uncomplicated nights out.

Getting involved really comes down to making your timetable work for you. The hours are long but during the summer there still is time to do other things. I tried to go for walks and meet with friends as much as possible. Once you book plans in advance and avoid doing things around deadlines it's possible to make it work.