1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My internship at Aon was not only an amazing working experience, it was also an excellent opportunity to hear from people that I would have never have met otherwise. I never felt like an unused appendage at Aon, I always felt valued and was always treated as part of the team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued at Aon. Not only was the work challenging, but it was varied and people certainly did not shy away from giving me work. This allowed me to learn a lot very quickly, which is one of the most important things when doing an internship in financial services.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given extensive support by my manager. Whenever I did not fully understand something, he would always take the time to explain it in full. Whenever I was stressed or feeling overwhelmed, he reminded me that the main thing for me was to learn and enjoy myself, which i did greatly!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was extremely busy on a daily basis, however this is a huge positive. There is nothing worse than just twiddling your thumbs on a day to day basis as it can make you feel pretty useless, however this was not the case with me and I was involved in actual work on day one.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the perfect amount of responsibility during my internship, in the sense that my work was always checked by my manager but was indeed actionable work that several senior people in the business would make business decisions off. This was really awesome, and not many other internhips can offer the same thing!
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
In regards to my degree, I dont see it helping much. however, in regards to my professional career, there is no telling what kind of doors this experience will open for me. I feel very lucky to have been given this opportunity, and i cannot wait to see what comes next!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Our office has a collaborative set up and I loved everything about it. we had a hot desking setup which was probably the biggest negative. We actually had an entire client suite available for our clients. Meeting rooms located on the farthest corner to secure privacy, mini pantry with free fruits every Wednesday, aswell as excellent free starbucks coffee!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised, and cannot be faulted on that front. everything ran like clockwork and there were no huge errors from the early careers team. The organisation around IT was probably the most frustrating thing, however i realise this is one of the realities of working for a large business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested a lot of training into me, espeically using certain kinds of software to transfrom and visualise data. I cant think of another way i would have been able to learn this kind of software, so in that regard the company really made an effort to teach me something.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?