1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Enjoyed the social impact project alongside the placement, but often didn't have any work to do related to my actual job role, so spent a lot of time 'shadowing'.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Felt valued by my colleagues as a person and was definitely included as part of the team, but didn't always feel valued in terms of the skill set I had and what I could have helped the team with throughout my time.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Recevied more support from the my colleagues than from my manager - was promised a training document but never received it. However, my manager was very friendly and I did feel as though I could have turned to her if I had any problems.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Towards the end of the internship I got a bit busier, but it was quite common for me to have days of having no (or very little) work to do. This also meant it felt like I would always be asking for things to do, which made me feel like a bit of a nuissance! However, the social impact project did keep me busy, so it was nice to have that to get on with on my quieter days.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Towards the end of the intership I would say I got a lot more responsibility, but for the first few weeks I was definitely doing little admin roles here and there. Would have really appreciated a bit more responsibility earlier on, as other people that I spoke to had more than me.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I definitely feel as though this internship has given me excellenet experience in an office based job, and helped me to understand whether or not this is the career for me. Also helped me develop a real eye for detail, which I am hoping will help me with the rest of my degree!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really excellent atmosphere in the office, my team were really friendly and it felt as though we all got to know each other very quickly. Lots of social events, felt very welcome within the team and will miss them!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
From an Early Careers Team point of view the internship felt well organised, but there seemed to be lack of coherence between managers as to how they managed their interns, how much work they gave them to do, how much responsibility they took for them etc. So would have been nice for that to be more even.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was project leader for the social impact project, so I think I have definitely developed my leadership skills. I am also greatful for the amount of time my colleagues spent explaining the industry to me. I would have liked a bit more one on one training, as that felt a little lacking in terms of investment.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I really like Aon as a company, they seem to treat their employees reallly well and really invest in everyone. However, I am yet to work out if this is the industry for me - in terms of future employment I think I would want to try a new area of the business.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Really good - enjoyed getting to know the other interns across the offices, and the social impact project hepled with this. Had regular lunches with the interns in my office - good support.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Office was about half an hour from London - much cheaper than London, decent amount of places to go to socialise.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Didnt experience it!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?