1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship was 9 weeks long, this could be viewed as good or bad - for me it was a little long. The workload varied and some days we wouldn't have lots to do. I did enjoy the internship and would probably do it again.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone was very friendly and welcoming however, I didn't feel that they made the most of having an intern there nor did they help me too much with my growth as they did not give me lots of work.
They did have lots of team building activities and socials which were fun and they were all super friendly and I felt like I got to know most people in the office!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My managers were very friendly and helpful, always checking up on myself and other interns and making sure we were getting a good amount of work. They gave me feedback throughout the internship and were very kind.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I'd say in my particular office I was busy 2 and 1/2 days out of 5 - I would've liked to have had more work to do so I could understand what they do in the office.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was not given a lot of responsibility. I didn't expect to be given a lot but it would've been nice to have been able to work independently on something aswell.
We were given a social project which we worked on as a team helping a charity. We had to sort this all out as a team so we were given responsibility on this.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I definitely developed some transferrable skills that would translate to any workplace and I also have an idea of what actuaries do. This will be useful in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was friendly and asking after you which was nice, we also had weekly social games etc which was fun. There were many grads or apprentices close to our age which was also nice.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Certain areas - e.g. social project were well thought out. I think individually in the offices they needed to have it better set out to make sure the interns would have work to do.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They had weekly lunch and learn sessions which we learnt from, they also allowed us to do things such as shadow colleagues and go to meetings to learn more.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Quite appealing and great for some, I personally want to test the waters in other jobs first. Will find out if I am offered a grad job with them later this week.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yeah, we befriended grads and apprentices and the interns stuck together as well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I didnt have to pay to live here in st albans but it is an expensive town.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Lots of pubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The office had lots of activities going on which was great.