Intern across actuarial and consulting departments working in retirement division
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Loved working at Aon and best job I've had so far - colleagues incredibly friendly and willing to spend time improving your understanding of the job. Aon as a company also have a well structured internship and offer loads of support and chances to get to know the company as a whole.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Incredibly social office. I was made to feel like part of the team instantly and the whole team even took me on onboarding and leaving lunches.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Did not work directly on any clients/jobs with my manager but caught up on a weekly basis. Was very well supported by the teams I worked with and my buddy.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Was often really busy but could have some quieter days - however, team were supportive and sent over work that I would be able to complete.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Got a project that would feed directly into an actuarial valuation so was happy that this would leave something behind after I was gone. Felt I got a good level of repsonsibility as an intern in my office but that other interns based elsewhere got a bit more.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This internship has confirmed that I definitely want to be an actuary and everything I've learned (both technical and soft skills) will allow me to develop this career after I graduate.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Office had a very social and friendly atmosphere and struck the perfect balance between work and socialising. I believe this made me work harder as we were trusted to chat but also work hard at the same time. This atmosphere was crucial to me making as many friends for life as I have.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Aon has a very well structured internship and took a great amount of care in every detail of the internship from social events to intern meetings.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Very good induction training for interns based on which part of the company they are working in. Good opportunities to travel nationally for training and skills development, which is provided for by the company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Would love to work for this company!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Only intern in office which at first was intimidating but soon got to know my colleagues who were incredibly friendly and loved to socialise.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
My office location was very inexpensive compared to other offices.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Go to uni/live here so knew where to go.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not so many activities in terms of sports/clubs because it was a small office, but greta for socialising events and activities.