1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Exactly what I signed up for! Got placed in an amazing team, and was assigned a very interesting project utlilising my best skills along with the space to improve and learn new technical skills.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Both my managers wanted to hear my thoughts and my approaches to the project I was on and definitely made me feel valued. They were also willing to spend time with me to teach me about financial products - given I have no previous experience.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Lots of support given throughout on any matters relating to me whether if was related to my project or not.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Quite busy, but I was the self-driver on how busy my day was. No one was constantly asking me to deliver items on a daily basis, but I set my own tasks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot! I was the main driver behind my project, and dictated which direction it should go in.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The company invests a lot into you, especially the one-week training program at the beginning of the internship. Throughout the program I had many opportunities to develop my technical skills and soft skills through networking events and presentations.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really good - never a dull moment. Being on the trading floor was an incredible experience.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very good. The company utilises an app to communicate effectively across divisions so the right people get the right information.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing - current graduates speak highly of the graduate programme which the internship is a pipeline for. Further, there are many managing directors that are former interns at the bank explaining the opportunities of internal mobility.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, interns in my division organised weekly socials.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?