1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my internship with HSBC within CMB. I gained so many skills both soft and hard skills. I achieved things I never thought I would achieve in eight weeks and had so much fun while doing it.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From day one, I didn't feel like an intern at work, I just felt like another member of the team. My team were really welcoming and supportive and always had time for me, either to answer my questions or to teach me new things.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was always there to help me and provide me both guidance and feedback on my work. This meant that I could do things I have never done before and continuously improve.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had a manageable amount of work to do. There was plenty of extra activities to do like a charity, group project and helping out with the committees.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Before joining, I thought I would be photocopying or making coffee. But in reality, on my placement I was making a real difference, doing real work and visiting clients.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think waking up at 7am for eight weeks was a great skill!! It helped me with my time-management skills that should help me when I'm in my final year at university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was a really friendly atmosphere and a great culture to work in. Everyone had time for me, and was interested in helping me and furthering my development.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was really well structured with multiple national events with all of the interns and group projects to do remotely with interns from around the country.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was lots of development opportunities during my internship. Both within my placement and within the wider internship community.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Definitely high - it seems like the internship could lead to a graduate offer within HSBC UK.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was in the bigger cities were more interns were placed.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Bristol nightlife is great
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?