1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement! I had enough work to do but never overwhelming, and definitely higher level responsibility than I expected. There was a really good intern community, and support from the intern team and ETT team at HSBC. I got to do so many great things like shadowing at a branch, listening to calls and speaking to senior stakeholders.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt really valued by my colleagues. They were appreciative of the work I did and it actually added value to the team. They also really made me feel part of their team - I definitely didn't feel like an intern on the side or anything like that. Everyone was really friendly and happy to help us!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was great - we had formal weekly 1:1s but if there was ever anything else that I mentioned that I wanted to develop or have help with, he was very willing to set the time aside. There was also great support from the intern team for more personal matters and we also had a Gradcoach who was like a buddy, personally and in terms of career development.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It varied day by day, there were some quieter days but we had lots to work - our personal project, a group intern project, charity fundraising, other work, development things. I also travelled quite a lot in my placement, to other offices in order to speak to other colleagues. I never felt totally overwhelmed, some days were a bit quiet but I think there was always opportunity to do extra things to fill the time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A much higher level of responsibility than I was expecting. I was given access to restricted data, and the projects I worked on will actually be used by different teams after I've gone which makes me feel that it was a good level of responsibility. I felt very trusted by my team and other colleagues.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The main thing I developed was my confidence. I felt like I was working in a company where I felt comfortable to push myself to do new things outside of my comfort zone. We also received training in resilience and presentation skills, which I think will assist me in my degree studies and beyond. I also now have a much better understanding of banking.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really good atmosphere, very friendly, people were happy to help me and I could really tell that wellbeing and development were an important part of the culture here.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?