1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed the work placement. The content of the work was interesting and there was a lot of speaking to people and working in teams. The only slightly less good parts were that as an intern you do tend to do easier tasks (which can be repetitive)
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt highly valued. I worked hard and I was given real work to take responsibility for, for nearly the entire internship. This was very rewarding as I felt I was adding value.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everyone in the organisation is massively friendly and helpful and I was given a huge amount of support and guidance both as part of the internship process as well as by other people in the company.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Pretty busy on average, but a very manageable level. There was plenty of work to do, but I was encouraged to balance this with learning. The only quite time consuming element that can add in extra hours (although not so much in my case) was the high amounts of travel.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt highly valued. I worked hard and I was given real work to take responsibility for, for nearly the entire internship. This was very rewarding as I felt I was adding value. But obviously the company is providing a service to a client so contributions will checked by a member of the company- especially earlier on in the internship
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills of project organisation will help me in the final year of my science degree with lab projects. I feel the skills will be far more valuable beyond, whatever career path I take, as I feel I learnt a lot about communication team working and organising projects through this internship
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very positive, friendly and fun but also very productive. On Fridays everyone is very sociable and I really got to know lots of people in the office. Everyone is very approachable and willing to talk about what they do.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was relatively well organised and worked out well for me. However, I know some other interns experienced technology problems that resulted in them not being able to properly engage with their work for a week of the internship
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was an induction week when we were taught lots of information and skills. Throughout the internship, further self directed development was encourage with online resources and plenty of other seminars and classes etc. available to interns.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Employment prospects are very appealing. They seem to do well by their employees and the type of people they recruit means that the firm nurtures a really nice culture and environment. There are good opportunities and interesting work.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were fewer fellow interns in the particular office I was in because it was smaller but it was still very good as there was the chance to make friends with interns in other offices in the induction week. And I also felt the full time employees made an effort to integrate the interns into their social scene
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Leeds is very reasonable for socialising and living however, I lived at home and commuted so I cannot comment too much.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife is really great in Leeds with loads going on all the time. Live music, club nights bars on all different nights.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were tonnes advertised all the time and we were encouraged to get involved. I played 5-a-side football every Friday and was involved in a Summer social day trip.