1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Real work projects are given to you and people spend time to teach you stuff so really enjoyed it.
I feel that I am engaged every minute in the office and there is always someone I can go to if I have any questions or if I want to learn about something.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As I said, since I am working on something the desk will consider using in the future, people value my work and will spend time teaching me how to improve it or solve some problems. Sometimes I did not understand something right away but the person explained it again from start patiently.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Anytime I have a question, there is always someone I can ask. Even when they are extremely busy, some people will take time after work to teach me and answer my questions. Also, many suggestions and guidelilnes are given throught my time at each desk so I always know what I should be doing.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I start my day at 7:30 and finish 7 on average. Since I have a project to work on, I have to engage every minute with it. After the desk finish around 5 to 6, I need to work o trading game and final presentation, which I quite enjoyed. But I have time to get lunch break everyday.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
It varies from desk to desk but I was given a real project which the desk went on to use it in the future. It is quite exciting to see I can add value in only 4-5 weeks on the desk and it keeps me engaged during my entire time in Citi.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
We had a one week training at the star and some training videos to watch before we start.
After we got on desk, it really is about shadowing people and asking relevant questions to help you develop the relevant knowledge in the business. Also it is about the project you got given.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
People are really busy but they are all quite willing to help and are friendly to you even it is a basic question. I find it a really nice that some one is willing to spend time even after work to answer your questions and spend time teaching you as they are busy in the day.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I would say it is very organised as I always have stuff to work on.
2 rotations 4+5 weeks and depending on the desk, you will generally be given a big project to work on throught your time or multiple small tasks.
Besides that, we also need to spend time working on the trading game.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Before we start, we have some training videos to watch and questions to answer to keep us updated with basic knowledge. In the first week, we have some training.
I would say the most knowledge you will learnnis on the desk and by talking to people on your desk as then you will realise which part of knowledge is relevant to the business.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Citi is quite different to some other banks as you are hired to the grad program not to specific desks. The good thing is you will have much more exposure to the business and really figure out what you want to do in the future. Personally I find it appealing as I would love to try some other part and functions of the trading floor.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We had a community day to paint fences and do some gardening in Victoria park. It is nice to be in the sun in a good weather and breathing fresh air while doing some community work. Also as it lasts 3 hours, it wont mitigate your work at the desk massively.