1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year. It is a huge company to work for and it was a privelege to work for them. It had a very friendly and fun atmosphere but at the same time, everyone knew their job roles and were extremely hard working. If i was to get an offer to come back, I wouldn't have to think twice.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Every single one of my colleague has said what a fantastic job I did during my time at BSH. They definitely appreciated my work level and commitment to the team. They gave me a lot of responsibility and jobs that were out of my comfort zone, so they clearly trusted me a lot.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
During the start of my placement, I was provided with a lot of guidance to get me going and help me learn the ropes. As time went on, obviously I became more independant and tried to complete tasks by myself. However, my team were always there watching over me and giving me support when I needed it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My specific job role was quite a busy one on most days. However, I knew this before I even applied for the job as this type of role is hard work and non-stop most of the time. It was never too busy and there were certain days that were busier than others, so it was a good balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From day one, my team were always wanting to push me out of my comfort zone and to complete certain tasks. I was given a lot of different roles throughout my placement, with a lot of independant ones which showed they trusted me. A lot of my job role involved consumers from outside of the company so I had that pressure to do well.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The job role was perfect for the degree i was studying at university. I went to the placement with a lot of knowledge, but left with even more. I am going back to university straight away so it will be fresh in my mind. It wasn't just knowledge but physical skills as well as confidence and other things too.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Extremely fun! Everyone was very lively and always in a good mood. I was located in a small office with about six other people but we all got on very well, everyone was friendly and always joking about. But at the same time, always working hard. There was never a dull moment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well set up! I had constant emails from someone who organised my placement who was very helpful. They answered all the queries I had, organised my interview, and my contract and everything. They also helped me settle in a lot when I arrived, showing me around and introducing me to specific people.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They used my skills I already had within the job role a lot. And then invested quite a bit more to further my development and personal skills. I was able to complete certain certificates which they supplied for me. I was also out of the office and away for work quite a few times, to experience different people and environments.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I was actually lucky enough to get offered a job role there the following year which I was very proud of. This is very appealing as it is a great company to work for; Amazing job role, everyone is so welcoming and friendly and it was just an enjoyable experience over the year I was there.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We had a very good diveristy of interns. Girls and boys and a lot from different countries too. We all got on very well and it was always fun to get to know them. We did a lot outside of work, including sports, going out, hanging out with eachother and spending some evenings together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I didn't personally live in the area but it was a good price, wasn't too expensive. Socialising was quite expensive but it was North of London so it wasn't going to be cheap. It wasnt as expensive as in the centre of London. Obviously with the salary from work, it was affordable overall.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was good. There is a pub just down the road which is good and we all went to quite a lot. There arent many clubs in milton keynes but a lot of bars that are just a 10 minute taxi jounrey away. They are always busy and a good atmosphere, especially on a weekend. Not too pricey either!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was always opportunites to get involved in activities outside of work. There wasn't a lot that were work related, however a few people set up a 7 aside football match every week that people could get involved in. There is a lot of people at BSH so always opportunites going on with different people.