To oversee numerous projects through to completion
aid with the software
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I very much had a good time on my placement, I enjoyed the variety of work available to me and also the team I was working alongside. However I did think I could have been given a few more tasks to complete to make it a little bit more enjoyable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I did for the most part feel very valued by all of my colleagues when I was completing tasks for them as I could see what they use for them was, some times though I felt like I could have been included a little bit more taking part in meeting and so on.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given lots of support and guidance throughout the whole process and I felt I could always ask any questions if I felt I was not fully aware of what is going on. I had some feedback and was told a few times how important the work that I was doing was.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the start of the placement I was very busy and at times lost count of all the things I had to do so I made an excel spread sheet to keep it all in check. Towards the end this tailed off a little bit and I was given less tasks to complete.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
For the most part I was given a reasonable amount of responsibility and I can understand there is a limit to how much responsibility can be given for a 10 week placement although for some tasks such as going to shop floor and completing tickets I would have liked more responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills developed will help my degree in regards to the organisation of work and the dedication to complete all tasks as quickly as possible to not disappoint anyone, most of my skills though will be more useful after university and once I have reached full time work because of what they were.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
the general atmosphere was very good and light hearted, especially because I was in a much smaller office only occupying four people in the room so was very easy to get to know them and have a chat about outside life as well as asking it easy to ask questions about the work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
overall the placement was set up very well however the placement states it is ten weeks although most areas are shut down for two weeks in this time frame and most of us therefore only worked 8 weeks which was a shame, also some times there was not enough tasks to complete.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I would say the company has invested a fair amount, especially considering it is difficult when the placement is only ten weeks but I got a work phone and laptop, was monitored and given certain jobs to go on. Also the induction was very full of use full information about the company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
they are very appealing however it is hard to definitively say this as the placement was only ten weeks although I would very much like to be a part of this company in the future as long as it continues in the right direction and keeps on moving to the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes as there were only 6 of us in total we all knew each other very well and met up for most lunch times in the canteen and went out on a few social work nights out together. Everyone was very lovely and we all communicated the whole time through Skype .
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
the cost of living for me personally was free because I stayed with a relative and commuted to work every day, but in terms of social and night life etc. the cost is very good in Sunderland, most things are very cheap to buy the only expense for me was fuel.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Although I did not go out that many times I have to say it was very good, Newcastle is renowned for its night life and never disappoints. I never went out in Sunderland as Newcastle is so easy to get to and also much bigger, especially on the student scene.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were some sport and social activities to get involved with although I did not really take part in any of these as I just wanted to get home most days but the opportunities are there if people are interested such as the football team and also there is a social club.