Research & Development Intern at BAT

Chemistry

BAT is a Top Employer

8.4/10

8.6

I enjoyed meeting new people and building my network. During my placement at British American Tobacco, I learnt a variety of new skills and built on some that I learnt during my education at the University of Bath. The placement team at BAT ran a number of programs to further aid our development.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAT

During my placement at British American Tobacco, I felt that I was a valued member of my team as well as being a part of the wider business. This was shown though contributions in team meetings and appreciation awards for my work. I was welcomed into my team very quickly.

I was given clear introduction to the project I would be working on throughout my year by my manager. These include induvial projects whereby I could go to my team when I needed assistance as well as the team projects in which we worked together to overcome problems that we faced.

During my placement year at BAT, I had a varied work load. I have periods which were busy when we have a large quantity of testing to do in short deadlines. I also had less busy times where I was able to do my own project and complete tasks for my University.

I was in charge of all the data analysis for the nicotine stability projects for a number of products. This was important data as it determined the shelf life of the projects. I them work on developing the test method which will now be used across the business. I also was given the responsibility of running my own project.

Whilst a BAT I had a number of training courses for machinery, analytical equipment and management. The analytical methods learnt such as GC-FID will help better my understanding at university. The other training that I received will help my progression in future in different roles and teach me how to be an effective manager.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAT

The general atmosphere in the office was mostly positive. The team would come together in busy times to achieve a joint goal. There was also many friendships in the workplace which help to relax everyone and aided the communication between people. There is a mix of personalities which sometimes clashed but this is required process during development.

How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up? In the first few weeks we, as student, were given a range of inductions which introduced us to the wider business. There was also well timed events such as poster presentations to help us develop our skill and work.

As a placement student we were signed up to a number of training courses automatically. We were also allowed to sign up to any other training which was work relevant and was signed off by our manager. This included personal development courses such as Transformation mindset and a leading self management course.

During my time at BAT, I was exposed to a number of roles and people. This as given me a greater understanding of what the company can offer. I feel that if the right role become vacant and I was already familiar with the some people in that team, the prospects for future employment would be high.

There was a good social scene. As students, it was nice to have a group of people the same age as me going through the same thing. This led to sustained social interaction inside and outside of work. I also made friend friends with a number of people across the business with similar interests.

The cost of housing and drinks if cheap in comparison to Bath where I attend university.

Nightlife was good, with a range of pubs and clubs. I liked the edge.

Yes the was a company football league which I took part in.