Working in Trade Marekitng with main retailers to create promotions.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Really valuable experience working with the trade marketing team. Learned a variety of new skills and given a lot of responsibility thorough the year. Had really lovely colleges which supported me to understanding the role. Would highly recommend coming here for any student who wants to gain as much as possible from placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleges have been excellent in my development in the role. In my first few weeks/months I asked many, many questions which were always answered politely. They give me interesting work which is varied thorough the year, and always ask me if i have time to take on their tasks.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My Line manager has been amazing in supporting me. She has given me the confidence to carry out tasks without questioning my own ability as much which I felt is one of my biggest achievements here. My department manager has also been very supportive, even though I’ve made a few mistakes!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As with many roles the workload will fluctuate throuought the year. There were periods where i had a lot to do, but this makes the days go faster and in some ways much more enjoyable! If I felt like my workload was light i would ask as there is always something to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was pleasantly surprised with the responsibility given by my team. At first they were very minor responsibilities but as the placement progressed I became more involved in the larger projects. In my role they find a good balance of when to increase responsibility as they are very involved in your day to day work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The main skill that I have developed in my time here is my organisational skills. Making sure I am on track to finish my tasks means i have to manage my time carefully. I have also developed great communication skills in presenting and in socialising with my co-workers every day.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was really good. I couldn't believe that there was so much friendly chatting in an office environment. Really makes you feel more relaxed and makes work more enjoyable. This makes coming in easier and people in general more productive. Defiantly want to work in somewhere similar after grad.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There were some delays in confirming my telephone interview, but overall the process was fine. I came in to do a presentation and they made me feel very welcomed and relaxed. This brought out the best in my interview which helped me get the job. Much better than online testing.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had three training days, the first was managing workload, second was training on excel (which I very much needed) and managing self. They were very informational and made me feel like I was valued in the company. Would recommend to any student joining the business for a placement or an internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The post grad scheme looks very appealing. They are very keen to get most of the students back as they value their experience in the company and feel like they would be good additions. This was true in my case and really made me feel like my work here was appreciated.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As there were many interns we did a lot outside of work together. I live 5 hrs away and going home was very rare. As I had people to socialise with outside work it made the whole experience much more enjoyable. I have made new friends which I will keep in touch forever.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was fairly good. Living so close to London you expect the prices to be sky high but most things are relatively cheap. As long as you are not out every night its very comfortable to get by. Also very accessible as there are many trains running through Milton Keynes.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The one thing which is very poor in the area is the nightlife. Milton Keynes is much more for families than young people. But you have to remember that London is 50min away which means you can just catch a train if you want a decent night out. Very pricey though!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a 5 a side football team which is on every Wednesday and Monday. This was good fun. We also had a Christmas ball which was very interesting. Could do a little bit more to organize outings for the interns but I feel we did this all by ourselves.