Software Development at Expedia Group

Expedia Group is a Top Employer

9.4/10

9.7
9.6

I loved my work placement at Expedia and I would recommend it to anyone doing Computer Science to give it a go. I learned and gained so much during my time there and had great fun too! Expedia and the Global Early Talent team did an amazing job and I think all the interns would agree with me that we truly enjoyed our time here. I can't wait to come back!

When I joined the company, I had the chance to choose my team and what I wanted to work on. The team that I joined was great and I have genuinely enjoyed working with them. They were very supportive and helped me learn so much, it made me want to give back even more. When I asked for feedback from my team, the feedback that I received made me feel really valued and happy. I really hope I get the chance to work with them again in the future, when I come back to Expedia.

From the very beginning, my manager was very supportive and patient with me. We had regular 1 on 1s and I felt like I could talk to her about anything that was on my mind. She encouraged me to get involved in different parts of the company and gave me advice when I had various concerns. Even when I made mistakes, some more critical than others, she tried to help me. To be honest, my manager's behavior surprised me, but in a good way.

In the beginning I wasn't very busy as I was still struggling to learn and understand the internal mechanics of things. Gradually, I started undertaking tasks or pairing with other team members and eventually came into my own. My team owned quite a few projects and we always had tickets or external requests to do. We were quite busy at times with various deadlines and objectives for each quarter.

I also got involved with Code Academy which offered courses about various subjects from employees to other employees during work hours. I thought it was a great initiative and joined their organisation committee.

As for the rest of my time, I organised other socials, sometimes for interns, sometimes for my team, volunteered or participated in Hackathons, or had Code Academy classes like Python and Practical Machine Learning.

The company culture really encourages you to get involved in different activities and opportunities and as I answered to a different question, there's always something going on every month.

As an intern, I wasn't given much responsibility in the beginning as I was still trying to learn and understand what my team owned or did. But eventually, I had as much responsibility as every other member of the team which was to always work on a ticket and attend all the team and company meetings relevant to us. I was treated like a full-time employee basically and it felt good to be on equal grounds with the rest of the team.

At the moment, I will soon begin my 3rd year of university and I can't wait to get back because I think I will ace any programming course I do. I learned a lot about programming and teamwork and even leading a team from my manager. I also learned how to use other coding frameworks, a different IDE and other useful and modern software some of which is even standard in the IT industry. These things have really boosted my CV and are valuable skills to have at this point in time.

The atmosphere was quite relaxed and even the clothes attire was casual. We were always up for a bit of fun, we even had regular end of the month drinks which was by far the most popular event of the month. Even with my team, we had biweekly lunches and socials like pub quizzes and board game nights. So it was a nice atmosphere to be in.

The placement was quite well organised. The Global Early Talent team organised a lot of socials and training that we could go to and learn about different parts of the company. Towards the end, these events were a bit more sparse, but I thought it was a good balance with our work.

I believe the company invested quite a bit considering every week I participated in some course for at least an hour. I went to Code Academy course like Python, Scala or Machine Learning and with my team, we had weekly courses about subjects, we wanted to know more of like Kubernetes and Kotlin. Overall, I spent quite a bit of time doing other activities non-work related.

I would say future employment prospects are quite appealing, considering I accepted a graduate job for next year! If you enjoy this type of work, this is a very good company to be in.

Every intern was in a different team based on different floors so it wasn't very easy to socialise in the beginning unless your desks were quite near each other's. The Global Early Talent team though made an effort to improve this by organizing socials for interns and we also had the opportunity to interact at company events and parties which worked out quite well.

The building is placed in central London, in Angel, which isn't the cheapest place to live in or socialize. The salary that we received though was plenty for us to live, eat and socialize with quite a bit of leeway. So it worked out well for us in the end.

There were quite a few pubs around the office which people often went to after work hours, but nothing else apart from that.

As answered above, there were a lot of opportunities of activities to get involved in as I spent at least a few hours every week doing non-work related activities. There was also the opportunity to change teams, if you wanted to try something new which one of my fellow interns actually did.