Chemist at Unilever

4.1/10

4.5
3.6

4.0

Worked in solution NMR as part of food and refreshments mainly looking at ice cream

This section of the comment has been removed
by a member of the RateMyPlacement Team because
it did not meet our site terms and conditions
. As a placement student, you are contracted through a different company to Unilever so I was given little support and help in dealing with this problem. Despite Unilever's promotion of wellbeing, they showed little interest when it mattered.

I felt valued by my line manager and colleagues in the project I undertook but when assisting other projects with other managers, I felt like I was looked down on as a placement student

At the start of my placement I was given a lot of support and guidance by my manager but became independent as my placement went on. I was given support by my manager relating to the bullying but not by the managers whom could deal with the situation.

At the start of the placement I wasn't busy at all but by the end I was busy. People could expect too much from you and palm work off onto you if you let them but at the same time I had the time to do some university work during work hours and this wasn't frowned upon. You could be as busy as you wanted to be.

I was given a lot of responsibility in my own project but almost assumed to be incompetent in others. I think it depended on who you were working with.

I learnt a lot which I'll be using going into my masters year.

This section of the comment has been removed
by a member of the RateMyPlacement Team because
it did not meet our site terms and conditions
. Other than this then Unilever was good at putting on extra fun events.

At the start it seemed quite unorganised and slow but that can be the nature of research.

I couldn't access learning portals which Unilever employees can access that would have helped with my learning when I started. I was given training to be able to do my job but nothing more.

There are a lot of young people at Unilever so although Bedford as a location is very boring. Other people mean that there is something to do.

Bedford is expensive for what it is due to being on the trainline to London

There is one club that is £10 entry and isn't very good. There are two bars which are alright but it's the people that make the nightlife