1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I loved my time at Cushman and Wakefield. I enjoyed everyday and the new challenges it brought. Also I was fortunate to make great friends with both colleagues I worked with and fellow interns. I enjoyed learning a new role of a surveyor and how they work in the industry. It gave me a great insight of Cushman and Wakefield's culture and how i could see myself working here in the future.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by colleagues by being trusted with confidential work and being allowed to go to meetings and represent Cushman and Wakefield. I was able to contribute to the team and help them fulfill tasks in time in preparation for a viewing or meeting. I also helped at a lanch of a building, invovling being at reception and talking to agents while they waited for a tour.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
From the first day I felt comfortable asking questions to my buddy and team. They made me feel at ease that if i was set a task and didn't understand i could always ask a question. They also supported me when i had to do a team presentation by running through it and checking the content.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Yes throughout my internship, everyday there was always a task to do and if anyone left the office I was able to come along when possible. They also allowed me the time to work through the tasks and have time to understand and ask questions. I also was able to see through the work i produced what it was for by being cc'd in the emails.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was able to independantly conduct viewings during my internship. This allowed me the responsibility to represent the Cushmans as well as the Landlord who we were acting for. Also, I was given tasks which required accuracy and to be presented to a high standard as it was going directly to the client.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt the role of an office agent and how they are able to see a project through. From pitching to the potential client, to leasing the space and gaining interest, to negotiating and writing heads of terms.
This first hand experience has allowed me to conceptualise my two years of study of real estate and how it is used in practice.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised. From the first day we were given an induction, we all had laptops, headphone etc all ready for us. This was set up and ready to go on our second day in the team. We had structured talks throughout and this allowed the interns to get back together and hear each others experiences.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Cushman and Wakefield invested in us in terms of preparing training throughout the internship on personal branding, presenting and client training. This was very useful in terms of developing our own skills and how they will be used in the work environment. Also, by setting goals it allowed me to push myself and achieve what I set out to do.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The potential to be fast tracked or given an early offer.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there were events such as the soft ball and intern and graduate drinks. This gave us the opportunity to network with out peers and graduates. Unfortunatley sometimes they were not very well attended, which was a shame as it would of been great fun to have everybody there!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, I particpated in the team cricket match, this was great fun and allowed me to meet new people. Also, I had drinks after work with the team and interns throughout the internship. This allowed me to have a great work life balance as i was able to socialise with friends and watch/play in the agent volleyball match and cricket.