IT intern in the Platforms team working with Release, Project and Test managers
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed the placement and the work I was given did give a good insight into the role I was in, The only issue I had, was the on-going issues I had getting access to software or folders which contained the work I needed to do
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like people were always willing to spend time with me to go over my work or to show me what they did
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support by a lot of different people, it was mostly the people I sit next to
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were pretty dry, especially the first week and a half, but after that I was consistently given enough work to get me through the day. Some days, there were too many meetings to get work done
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Some of the work was just admin work, but later into the internship, I was given responsibility in some work
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The training on the scheme is great, with weekly events for intern development
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere is positive, everyone is open and talkative, people are willing to spend time with you and are interested in how you are doing during the internship
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There were some issues which occurred regarding the system that I was placed on, I was unable to get access to the webpages, folders and software for the first 2 and a half weeks due to permissions.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
weekly intern development training sessions were held, which were very useful. learning skills like presenting and
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I enjoyed my internship and feel like I have learnt a lot about my role. I believe that the organisation of internships in terms of IT and accounts will be improved after the merger of the IT systems are complete.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
more or less every week there is a night out, we eat lunch together every day. With the arrival of the fringe festival, there are even more opportunities to socialise.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It can be quite expensive and travel is also quite expensive, hair cuts are expensive. Costs tend to go up when the Fringe festival is on.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There's a lot going on in Edinburgh, there are plenty of bars, clubs and restaurants to go to
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We had a volunteer day, and there was an ITs summer party and quarterly drinks. there were also events put on by the Young People Development Network such as a quiz night and personal development events like Pensions 101