Intern at RBS

Edinburgh Scotland
Computer Science

RBS is a Top Employer

9.4/10

My job was to work shadow employees as they told me about their role.

I really enjoyed this placement as I felt it really showed working in RBS in a positive light and showed all the new and exciting things they are currently doing. I got to see lots of different types of jobs that can be done and did a range of activities and completed an assessment on the last day which I found to be very helpful.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at RBS

I don't feel as though this was a placement where I needed to be valued as such as it was a lot of work shadowing. however, on the first day there was a lot of interactive activities and I felt like my answers were noted and my contributions were appreciated and taken into consideration.

The staff at RBS were very helpful and made sure we knew that if we needed any assistance that all we had to do was email or call them and they would try to help us the best they can. Other people I met were also more than happy to answer any questions and show us where things were and add us on linked in for future.

I feel like, especially on the last day, my confidence was built in my interview skills as there were a lot of tasks which I feel I had never really done much of, such as time pressured groupwork. I also feel that from what I heard from employees, I know more of what field of computing I want to go into.

The insight was structured extremely well and everything ran smoothly. On day one, we had talks, groupwork, meetings and everything was discussed about what was happening in the following days. From then on we did a lot of work shadowing and then on the last day we did our assessment centre. I couldn't have complained as I felt my time was spent well and I got a lot of insight from what I had been doing.

The general atmosphere throughout my insight was very friendly and relaxed. There was no pressure to do anything you didn't want to do or if you were uncomfortable speaking out. There was lots to do the whole time so there was never a dull moment between interviews, shadowing and meeting new people.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 10 roles at RBS

At the end of the placement, we all did an assessment centre which had multiple parts. At the end of this we were told that if we succeeded we would get an 'intent to offer' for an internship next summer. I was lucky enough to receive one so I feel like this is an investment as they thought I would do well doing an internship with them.

Through all the work shadowing that was done, i feel like i got a very in depth insight into what it would be like working at rbs. In my opinion, working with rbs would be a brilliant opportunity as they offer many different roles within the workplace and there is always room to grow or change your career path with them. This is especially important in working with technology as it is always changing and shows they're an adaptable company who want their employees to grow and expand their knowledge.

I spent a lot of time in the main area of Gogarburn and from what I could see, RBS as a company takes a very relaxed and positive approach to the workplace. For example, there was a lot of open space for people to work and have meetings and working from home is encouraged and shows that they value their employees and acknowledge what works best for them.

The work shadowing was what really helped me decide on my career path. Everyone was positive about their jobs and talking to people in different areas really helped me work out what I was most interested in. This has then helped me pick out my third year subjects in accordance to this.

We got our money back for breakfast lunch and dinner and our travel. to do so, we had to keep our receipts and tell them the amount we wanted

Throughout the week, I met a lot of different people from many different departments. this meant that I was able to add a lot of people on linked in. In the future this could be very helpful for finding out about new job opportunities. Also, meeting the other students was a great networking opportunity as they might be able to help me and vice versa in the future.

There wasnt really any specific event. Most things we did were opportunities for networking. We met a wide variety of people who also introduced us to more people from a range of positions such as graduates to project managers which was perfect in helping your understanding of how it works .

There is so many opportunities for RBS employees which is actively encouraged by the company. From charity events to going to schools and even taking part in the female insight week. They also offer many learning opportunities if you want to try something new and it will benefit the company

I couldnt complain about my week at RBS as I found it to be very a insightful and busy week. I was always doing something and finding out new things that enhanced my experience. I especially liked the fact that its not just a week but could also lead on to a summer internship the following year.