1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a very good experience. I enjoyed it a lot. I learned new things, was in a professional environment so got the chance to develop certain behaviours, etc.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone made me feel very welcome from the first day I came to the office. My team was great. They would not treat me as an intern, but like I've been working with them as part of the group for long. They gave me responsibilities, gave me opportunities to present stuff, invited me to spend my breaks with them and in general we bonded a lot with most of them.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support, and was encouraged to ask questions. We had weekly one-to-ones with my line manager to discuss my progress, or anything on my mind. Sometimes work had my manager really busy so we didn't have much time to catch up on certain things but in general she was really nice to me and would help me in case I needed anything.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days I was more busy than some others. However, in general I had a fair amount of tasks to do everyday, so I was neither bored nor extremely busy most of the time. Days when I didn't have much to do on my engagements, I would have other things t complete, or some time to work on my project. Some other days I had to prepare for presentations to my team, or I would just sit down wit a colleague and they would explain to m stuff about the work they are doing. So, I always had things on my plate which kept me busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a fair amount of responsibility. I had my own parts on the engagement I was working on to complete, and then they would review my work and give me feedback to make any changes needed. I was given the opportunity to present on a few topics to my team meetings, attend meetings with stakeholders, etc
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I developed will definitely be useful in the future. I developed (further) my communication and presentation skills, my team-working spirit, and learned how to behave in a professional environment. I also developed my critical thinking and analytical skills as I had to challenge certain things I was given to see whether I agreed or not with what they stated or to judge whether they complied or not with a specified standard that needed to be met. These are all things I will need in any job I have in the future, as they apply in any professional environment, and will be proven to be very useful.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was very nice, and a quite chilled environment I would say. People were friendly and helped each other out a lot. It was a professional environment of course, but the atmosphere was positive. I really enjoyed it, from both my team's side and the other teams of the department.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I would say there was room for improvement. They did not have specific things for us to do when we came in as interns. Of course they found engagements for us to work on, but overall there were times we were not as busy. Also, there were not many events prepared for us apart form the induction ones. However, they were quite helpful when we asked for information on our assessment etc ; even though our managers did not have all the answers on time (probably HR's issue though, not their fault), they found out for us and informed us.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The team I was assigned to was really nice. Not everyone would have the time, but there were some people that really sat down with me to explain things and help me out. They devoted time to me, and I really feel like I did learn stuff from them. There were certain calls/workshops/presentations the company and specifically department have which were quite useful and informative to listen to. I believe they tried to 'work us' interns to a good level.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, not too competitive, very good people and relationships.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Quite high, but London is London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good. Good number of pubs and bars around
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?