1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A really enjoyable and rewarding placement, where you have the opportunity to gain so many transferable skills by working in store and also in a head office environment. The ability to do work that truly makes a difference is extremely rewarding, however it is important to note you do work a lot of hours and if you aren’t willing to work in excess of 50 hours a week and weekends this isn’t the placement for you.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
In store time you gain a real sense of work camaraderie, by working towards and central goal of ensuring your store performs as well as possible. In head office you are offered massive opportunities with the projects you are set and therefore feel valued due to the responsibility you’re given.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
This can vary massively from one placement student to the next. Some have had amazing experiences where they have had all the guidance and support required. In contrast, in store time some people have had times where they have had little contact with their personal or direct leader, which can be challenging. In head office you are left to guide your projects, however support is there if required.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Store time is extremely busy and you’re kept on your toes 24 / 7. Head office is a different environment and you are not as busy in the same way but always have a lot of work to do to complete your projects on time and to the standard that is expected.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
In store time you are given the responsibility of being an assistant store manager, which is the highest level manager if the store manager isn’t present, this involves dealing with ordering, running the shop floor and taking on other responsibilities in relation to the smooth running of the shop. In head office you are given the responsibility of projects that will make a massive impact to the whole company, with some project potentially saving the company hundreds of thousands of pounds.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
You develop a whole host of skills during a placement with ALDI. First is the development in leadership and confidence you gain during store time which help you perform during group work. During head office you develop analytical skills, how to write concisely and effectively and improve upon your presentation skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
In store time everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. There is a more relaxed atmosphere as long as you are working hard. Head office has a much more professional atmosphere, however everyone is still extremely approachable and helpful. There is also a clear hierarchy in head office which is less apparent in stores.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The whole placement is is extremely well structured with you knowing exactly what you will be doing on a week by week basis, whether that be in store or head office. You will also be informed in your first week which stores you will be working in. The only down side to this however is that you’re told when your 4 weeks of holiday are.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
ALDI place a real focus on giving you as much support and training as they can. Store time is great for developing your leadership, team working and organisational skills. Head office is great for developing analytical, written and presentation skills. By having 2 parts to the placement really helps to make you a rounded individual.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
this Placement Year
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The IP scheme is a fantastic opportunity to see if this is the correct company for you. If you perform well during your year you will be given ye opportunity to return after university as long as you achieve a 2 / 1 onto the graduate scheme, which is a fantastic job.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There isn’t that many opportunities outside of work to meet people