1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship with PwC was a great experience. I was able to experience life at the firm both in terms of work and leisure. I was given tasks to do which would have been given to a full time member of staff otherwise, ensuring that i gained knowledge of what a job with PwC would be like.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the beginning of the internship i was given a buddy who was available to answer any questions i had. I was also assigned a career coach who helped me to set goals for my time. Everyone at the firm was very friendly and more than willing to help with any issues i had, even if they weren't working on the same job.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At the beginning of the internship my manager made herself available to meet me and had regular check in emails to see how i was getting on. My seniors on jobs were also very willing to help me with any problems i had and gave me useful advice on how to complete my tasks
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was always assigned to a job and got to experience a wide variety of clients. I was given tasks to complete with limited time pressure put on them making me feel like i could always do my best work. Overall i always had tasks to complete with a small number of quiet periods
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel as though i was given a manageable level of responsibility during my internship. I was always given tasks which directly related to client work making me feel as though the work i was doing was worthwhile. While i felt i had responsibility there was always someone to ask for help and to review my work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As my degree relates to my work I felt the internship put into perspective the knowledge i had gained from university. During residential training we were introduced to the firms systems and a basic knowledge needed for our internship.
I also feel it was possible to develop skills such as excel, email and communication in a professional enviroment.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was great! Everyone was very welcoming and ensured that we felt comfortable in the office. Due to the average age being young i think this helped me to feel comfortable, However everyone from junior to ore senior members of staff ensured that our time in the office was enjoyable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation around the first 3 day induction even in London was great. Travel, meals and activities were all organised by the firm, all of which ran smoothly. Once back in the office there were minor problems with timetabling but this happened only occasionally. Overall the internship ran well and organisation was good.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested a lot in the interns during our 6 weeks. During the induction in London there was around 2 full days of classes aimed at giving us a basic knowledge surrounding our line of service. Once back in the office there were lots of opportunities to gain more knowledge and everyone was more than happy to help with this
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment opportunities with the firm are very appealing. They invest a lot in their employees in terms of training and other benefits. Everyone if keen to ensure the professional development of others in the office The firm also offers training contracts for professional body qualification such as ICAS.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As interns we were invited to a number of office social events which were useful in helping us to become part of the team. The other interns were also very keen to take part in our own social events such as dinner and drinks. The social scene in the office was very inclusive and everyone was encouraged to join in.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
As a student living at home within travelling distance of the office i feel the living costs were average. Transport costs vary depending on method however overall it is affordable. There are lots of options both in the city centre and further out to cater to the needs of everyone in terms of activities and dining
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?