Summer Intern - Software at BAE Systems

Rochester South East
Aeronautical Engineering Computer and Systems Engineering Computer Science

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

6.7/10

This placement was a good mix of challenging and interesting, and the pay was decent too. I had plenty of work to do, so there was no danger of being bored. The flexible working was especially nice as it meant that I could beat all of the traffic to and from work.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAE Systems

I was never left out, and always felt like I was given useful tasks to do rather than grunt work. My colleagues were always happy to explain things to me if I was having difficulty understanding things, and I was made to feel like a valid and useful part of the team.

The managers were always happy to help me with any issues I had, and answer my questions. I was never made to feel like a burden or annoyance for not knowing how the company worked, and I felt like I was being listened to by my managers and my supervisors

I was always fairly busy in this job. I was never so busy that I felt overwhelmed or felt like I couldn't keep up with the workload, but there was always a job for me to do or something for me to learn, which meant that I was never bored.

I was given a small amount of responsibility during my time at this placement. My duties were mainly minor, straightforward tasks, which I liked because there was less pressure about making errors in an unfamiliar environment. I didn't feel like the work I was doing was useless, though: everything I did felt useful in it's own way

The company has an online training portal that gave me access to a lot of different courses on various subjects. I found this to be very useful indeed, as a lot of the courses were on topics that related to the content that I would be studying at uni the next year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAE Systems

I fount the atmosphere in my office to be relaxed and friendly, whilst still maintaining a professional environment about it. The company has a flexible working policy, which I thought was especially nice as it meant that I could beat all of the traffic on my way to and from work.

It was clear to me that the internship and graduate systems at this company were streamlined, well organised and that a lot of thought had been put into the running of them. The application process was straightforward, and responses were given to me quickly at each step of the process.

The company allowed access to their online employee training portal to all the interns and graduates. This contained a large number and variety of free online learning courses across a wide range of topics. This was very useful to me, and I was able to complete some interesting learning there,

I would say that future career prospects for this company are very appealing to me. The company has a graduate scheme, and candidates on industrial placements (year long) or summer internships (3 months) have the option to be fast-tracked into the graduate scheme if they receive a good grade at their performance reviews.

not that I was aware of

moderate

I'm not sure

There is a sports club and various societies within the company I believe