1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My placement was a very insightful experience. I had the opportunity to do 2 three-months rotations en Equity Capital Markets and in Debt Capital Markets.
I have been involved in various live transactions, pitches and Request for Proposals.
I had the opportunity to meet a client alongside with the financial advisor and the other mandated banks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely well valued by my colleagues. They were very welcoming when I joined their team - made sure I was getting up to speed, took the time to explain basic concepts at the beginning. I was also receiving regular feedbacks on the work I had done and was given a sufficient amount of responsibility.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisors were always supportive providing me with clear guidance when starting on a project. They welcomed my questions at all times and I was personally feeling very comfortable asking questions. They were usually checking on work progress and adjusting when necessary explaining clearly what was wrong. Theyir guidance was usually very helpful
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Depending on the week I was on average busy enough during the day. There were days when the workload was lighter than usual but there were also other period of times where I was covering different regions at the same time thus working on several projects avec the same time with different people.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a sufficient amount of responsibility during my placement. My colleagues quickly explained to me at the beginning the main tools that were necessary to be fully operational which allowed to quickly get up to speed and be fully autonomous within a week on the usual daily tasks
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe that with such an insightful experience, I have developed several skills both soft and technical ones. I think that I've learned a lot about different financial products and all the related technicalities but I've also learned to work efficiently and to manage my time correctly. Team work and team spirit is certainly one skill I've been able to develop here.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere was great and really enjoyable. We usually organised team events with the juniors. For example we went for Karting, we participated to a football tournament and played softball as a team. Everyone was getting along with each other and we would usually help each other when needed
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The work placement was very well organised. There was one staffer per team who would allocate the workload of each region between the juniors. We were having weekly staffing meeting, allowing the staffer to be aware of each one's workload and reallocate when necessary so that everyone had a fair amount of work.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I believe that the company has invested quiet a lot my personal development and training. I had 1 week of training when I joined with specialist teaching me the basic concepts of financial products or how to use the internal services and softwares which was extremely helpful. My staffer would always make sure I get the necessary training when needed
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects looks very appealing within Citi. Everyone seems to enjoy their work, the seniors are very inspiring and look very passionate about their job. Everyone cares about one's wellbeing and it does really feel like people want to push you to improve yourself and get to the top
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was an extremely good atmosphere among the other interns as we were all getting along very well. We would often go out all together for drinks afterwork and it felt like everyone was helping each other without any competition spirit or so. I personally ended up making really good friends.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living and socialising in Canary wharf is actually very expensive for placement interns.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
the Nightlife was really enjoyable in Canary Wharf with several nice bars and terrasses where everyone would meet up
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I was involved in a community day at Victoria Park