1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My work placement was great, the teams I worked with were super friendly and I had endless guidance and aid through all tasks. I was never pressured to complete work in a rush and was given time to make sure I learnt as I worked. I learnt lots on my placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The colleagues were excellent. Everyone helped me and I never felt scared to ask questions. No matter time of day or how busy they were they would take time out of there day to help me and the other placenments and interns. My colleagues also invited me to events outside of work which was lovely.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Managers were also really friendly and helpful. Both in charges and managers which I came into contact with were able to help and take time out again to make sure I was able to be confident in my work. The management although busy and with lots more important things also took time to get to know me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was constanly working and always on a particular job. Whether it be small admin jobs or actual work my incharges always dound things for me to do. Eventually I started to be able to find work on my own and lead myself onto new jobs without having to ask others first.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My responsibility was relatively high. I was being trusted to complete workpapers for audits worth millions of pounds which even at monetary value is a massive responsibility. As well as this, I was given responsibility to communicate with clients face to face and be trsuted to keep confidentiality within all my work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I used some of my previous knowledge oif accounting and finance from which I learned at uni when I first started. As time went on I was able to develop these further and also build massively on my general audit knowledge. I got lots of training over the year including weeks of training at a Bradenham.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office was very relaxed and even when people got stressed and busy it remained calm and collected across the office. The various styles of the office I worked in across GT were also very different. Some are a lot quieter than others but each worked in their own particular way.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The work placement was really organised. I knew where and when I was meant to be at all times and never felt like I didn't know what I was doing due to the information given to me weeks in advance. The actual work was set up well also so I always had work to complete.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had a great people mamager who met with me frequently and checked up on me to ensure I was making the most of my placement. They also allowed me to shadow partners and gain experience. The traning put on was always great and helped me grow not just as individual but also in the profession.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The prospects are very appealing and I am definitely hoping to be continuing m work journey here following the completion of my degree. Seeing how the current graduates are treated and feel in regard to the company is very strong and makes me really want to get back here as a graduate already.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All of the placement students were really social and we got together atleast once a month on the weekend for events and also a lot of the company social events meant we all get to get together again. No one was shy and didn't want to make friends which was great.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living is very reasonable. Although rent may be a little higher than expected, both bills and food were well priced. I never felt too much out of pocket and while living alone for the placement I was able to do all the things I wished to on my budget.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was great, reading was close by which enabled company events. ALso being so close to London was good so we could go out for nights in London to celebrate on special occasions. It was a straight train into the capital which made it so easy.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The company has a very diverse culture and lots of people have very different interests which meant I could find new things to do whenever I wanted. People like both sports and more relaxed things such as theatre, I always knew someone would be interested in what I wanted to do.