1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I couldn’t have wished for anything more from my placement year. The responsibility that the company gives you is truly unprecedented. I didn't feel like an intern throughout the year, right from the offset you are an integral part of the team. If you are considering an internship, this is a must!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The value the interns bring not only to the teams but to the wider business is huge. The day to day running of the majority of the teams is dependant upon the interns ability to fully execute their role. The appreciate programme is a great way of feeling valued by your colleagues!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support and guidance is dependant upon the interns ability and willingness to develop. If you express your willingness to develop; there is truest not a better place to be an intern than SAP. This said, if you don’t seek it, you will not gain the rewards from doing so.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I would say that I was busy the majority of time. Of course there are times when the work dries up but this is completely up to you as an individual to have the initiative to seek more work form the management team. Very similar to any other industrial placement!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
If you are looking for a placement that gives you responsibility, look no further. Being given huge amounts of responsibility is incredibly rewarding but also comes with the cost of expectations! Some of the projects you work on, not only have a huge benefit to the team but also generate revenue for the business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
SAP are very willing to help you develop and are incredibly invested in your develop. Social selling masterlclasses can make you understand the importance of LinkedIn. Furthermore, the presentation training also given has transformed my personally that will project my career and will give me skills for life. Fantastic training!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There is a buzz around the office but this depends on department! The 1st floor is very quiet and has a library feel to it. The second floor is the sales floor and has a great atmosphere especially around quarter end. Central offices can be a bit quieter and smaller.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Extremely well organised internship. A very well structured programme will a great team leading it. Although this is the case it’s a lottery to which role you get and which office you are assigned to. The 30/70 split is fantastic opportunity to experience other areas of the business and develop personally.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invests in you hugely especially if you have an idea about a project. They not only invest in you personally but also invest in your digital approach. The social selling class allows you to experience the benefits of using LinkedIn which I’m sure I’ll use throughout my career.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
SAP shoot themselves in the foot hugely by not having a grad scheme. Although this is the case they do offer a few interns to come back on a part time basis. The sales academy is an option but this has been made an exclusive and a hard route into the business!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Social scene is non existsnt in Feltham. Getting a train to Richmond/Clapham is accessible and easy to get to. The intern community are great at getting thogeyehr and going out for drinks. The social atmosphere in the city is fantastic but this is very dependant upon which team you are in!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home so this is doesn’t apply!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife in Feltham is poor!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?