Assisting the Press team in internal organisation and external communications.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my year at Toyota. The business was very welcoming and supportive throughout the year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
There was a real sense of responsibility with the role. It was reassuring knowing that what I was doing had a clear purpose and was valuable for not only the team, but for the wider business as a whole.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
You have regular catch ups with your manager and scheduled reviews with regards to your development and progression.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My schedule varied from day to day depending on what was coming into the press office but there was always plenty to be getting on with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Each student role is given a lot of responsibility. The work that I carried out throughout the year was depended upon by both the department and the journalists, playing an important part in external communications and departmental organisation.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Throughout the year students are offered numerous training sessions on a variety of topics which proved to be very useful during my year and no doubt will be once I get back to university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is very welcoming and supportive. Everyone is very friendly and open to helping.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The year was very well organised and ensured we received the necessary training throughout.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We were offered numerous training opportunities, all of which were very valuable.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is an appealing graduate scheme, however I felt it was more suitable for those with a background in business studies.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a good social scene within the student community, especially if you lived near by. You can get as involved as you like.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in the Epsom/Banstead area isn’t too bad if you have a house share. And the cost of nights out were fairly standard.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It was quite good with a big group, but head into London if you want more variety.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a sports and social club which holds multiple activities throughout the year.