1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement has been very interesting. Every member of the team has taken time out to help me learn and make sure I understand each aspect of the work. I think it could be improved if I managed to make it out to the occasional site visit to be able to see schemes in real life.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt highly valued by all colleagues. Each member of the team ensured that I had enough work to be helping on at all times. If anything was unclear colleagues would take the time to explain and help me out. Everyone was incredibly friendly and always creating conversation making me feel welcome.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Throughout the last month I have continually been given support and guidance across all work. All colleagues would make sure I understand the schemes I am working on and take adequate time to explain anything I was unsure on.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I believe the balance of work I have been given is generally very good. I would receive projects to work on which I would finish every one or two days. I would have longer term projects that I could be working away on when I had slightly less work too. I believe I could have been given more work to do at times, occasionally once I have completed the smaller projects I would have little to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I believe the responsibility I was given over the last month has been a good balance. From the beginning of my placement I worked on important schemes providing my opinion on values for specific projects. My work has been important in helping others in the team towards the end goal and providing Redbook reports and I believe overall there has been a good balance of responsibility given to me.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I truly believe the skills I have learnt over the last four weeks will be essential for me throughout life. I have learnt such a range of useful skills from methods to correctly value site specific units to improving my professional writing in reports. All the training I received I believe will be greatly beneficial moving forward in me beginning my APC starting in September.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office is good. It tends to be quite quiet allowing everyone to work on their projects without being disturbed. Everybody lets you get on with your own work without distracting/disturbing you. Overall, it is very friendly and I feel welcomed by all members of my team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I believe the internship over the past 4 weeks was organised very well. The talks which were provided were a useful insight into other areas of the business. I thoroughly enjoyed the walking tours highlighting the real life projects across central London and the important part the business plays. I believe there could have been more social events for the other interns allowing you to get to know others in a similar position better.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
In terms of my personal training and development I believe my team invested a lot of time in helping me to quickly pickup skills which would be useful for them. They provided meetings in which I would learn how to produce better work. I would say the company invested a good amount of time in me.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
From starting my work experience to completing the graduate summer scheme I believe Savills are very appealing throughout the whole process. Gaining an insight into such interesting work with the company makes the employment prospects highly appealing. I have successfully secured a graduate position with them starting at the beginning of September.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I believe the social scene with the fellow placement students/ colleagues was ok. There are a good amount of times in which you get to see the others such as in talks and on the walking tours. I believe there could be more events put on in which you get time outside of work to socialise with the others.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living and socialising in the area I worked in was quite difficult. I fortunately did not have to pay rent however travels within the city still adds up over time. For over a week I was commuting from outside of London in which I had to pay £35 a day for travel, considering the salary of the internship it was very difficult.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?