BDO Insight Day at BDO

BDO is a Top Employer

5.8/10

6.5

4.2

Insight into accountancy at BDO and what a career in this sector involves.

This insight day at BDO gave us a good idea of the world of accountancy and the roles and values of the firm. I mostly enjoyed the day but the day was very short, some of the staff were slightly rude and it was not very organised. Thus, this insight was ok.

I felt relatively valued at BDO. The person from HR organising the day was very helpful and nice. A nice lunch was provided and we able to take part in a mock group research project into a business of our choice. We then each presented our ideas to the room.

We received a decent amount of guidance from the person from HR. She discussed in detail the different application processes, and what each application process involved. She was willing to answer any questions we had. The support from the BDO accountants were less helpful, with them being unsure on a vast amount of questions asked.

We were given advice on the skills BDO were looking for and the application processes. We were also given advice on video interviews - a tool increasingly used by major firms. Whilst this was helpful, I felt that most of the information was stuff we already knew and I did not learn any major new points of improvement.

The insight was structured badly. BDO staff were delayed coming in, causing us to have an early lunch at approximately 12pm. We also ended one hour early at 2pm instead of 3pm. I feel that a networking session or a tour of the offices in that missed hour would have been a better use of time, rather than just leaving early.

The insight was pretty good. I got on with all the people sitting close to me and I enjoyed networking and talking to them during the event and at the lunch. However, I was not able to talk to people sitting away from me which I thought was a shame.

I do not think that BDO invested in us sufficiently, in terms of personal training and development. Whilst there were talks on the application processes and video interview, we were not able to network with employees. The employees who did talk to us did not seem like they wanted to be there with us.

The firm provided a good insight into what a full time role at BDO involves. We were able to ask about working hours and the daily work undertaken by BDO employees, which mostly involves being on the computer and on Microsoft Excel. Other activities included meeting clients from across the world.

From the HR woman, we were able to understand some of the core values of BDO and some of the analytical techniques used by them to get to a solution. However, the employees talking to us gave us some uncertain looking answers to the atmosphere and culture at BDO. I hoped that they would give a more transparent view of company culture.

The day helped me decide that at the moment, I do not wish to enter accountancy. However, for those interested, it provided a good view of the application process for the different schemes (like the apprenticeship and graduate programmes). We were able to see the grade requirements and what they wanted to see in candidates.

We were not paid and not offered to be reimbursed our travel expenses.

There were no opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of BDO. I found this a great shame, for meeting other employees could have given us a more personal opinion and advice on what they like about BDO. We had no networking lunch and could only talk to employees in front of the whole room.

The networking and social event opportunites were non-existent on the BDO insight day. Apart from the lunch with fellow insight day participants, we had no opporunity to network with BDO employees. If the day was longer by a few hours, perhaps this could be added in to make the insight experience better.

We found out that employees get involved in an annual ski trip, which looks to be a good opportunity to interact and have fun with other members of staff. However, apart from this, we did not get an insight on other activities that employees can get involved in outside of work and I felt that was a shame.

I would recommend this insight to a friend, but only if they were interested and set on a career in accountancy. Whilst BDO are not part of the traditional Big Four, we were given a decent insight into the application process and what they wanted to see in people applying.