A mixture of different roles through out the year.
Assistant Store Manager
Project Area Manager in different departments in head office.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Aldi. Although there are days that are not the most enjoyable due to the high pressured environment, the overall experience is great.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You are well aware of where you stand with your colleagues due to the open nature of the working environment. Through constant feedback you are able to understand the appreciation that you get from your colleagues.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My mentor throughout the year could not have been more supportive, both on a personal and a professional level.
The hardest time of the placement is when you spend tim ein store. By building good relations with your management team you are able to get the support you need.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Although i have graded this question near to too busy, this is not a bad thing. I believe that the exposure to such a busy and fast paced environment allows you to develop fast and learn things quicker.
There were never enough hours in the day but it made the experience a lot more enjoyable.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was never expecting to have as much responsibility as i got. Aldi puts a lot of trust in you by giving you so much responsibility.
For example, there have been days in store where the store manager has been off for a week and i have been the senior manager in the store for that week. This means that i have been responsible for a store that turns over hundreds of thousands of pounds each week and been responsible for over 30 staff.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think the maturity that Aldi has taught me will be useful when going back to university in terms of my prioritisation of time.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone in the office were friendly and welcoming.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It is a very structured placement that gives you insight in to all aspects of the business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Although the Aldi placement scheme is one of the highest paid placements, i think the main investment from them comes from the time that they spend on you across the company.
For example, i must have spent over 100 hours of my placement learning from and talking to different Area Managers that invest their time in to helping me.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The promotion paths that occur throughout aldi are extremely appealing. I am confident that i will be accepted back on to the graduate scheme if i choose to reapply as well.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I have formed good relationships with the other placement students and store teams.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was lucky enough to live from home.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I did not experience it.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of team charity events such as football tournaments and tough mudders across the region which i was happy to get involved in.