1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
i have been really enjoying my placement so far, there have been lots of opportunities to lean new skills and work with lots of different people who have all been lovely and made the experience enjoyable as a whole. I really do enjoy getting up in the morning and coming into work to contribute more to the company in any wat I can.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel like the team do really value me. we are always included in every meeting, team building night out or even just a gathering in the first week with dinner. theres always people checking im okay and making sure I have everything I need. im being given responsibilities which makes me feel trusted by everyone.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I felt at the beginning of my placement I was supported well by my mentor as my line manager wasn't here and they were more than fantastic.
I then felt a bit lost with my area lead being away but managed to email a few people and sort myself out and when they were back sort a meeting with them too.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I have a fair amount of work to do on a daily basis although when I am finishing tasks it takes a little longer to then find someone who can guide me onto the next task due to my area lead not often being In the department. although again ive managed to start emailing people myself and sorting this.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I've been given a fair amount of responsibility to work on my own task that directly benefit the business that make me feel valued as a team member and that my work matters and I am actually being helpful in my time here. I am working on a few tasks currently.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think my skills are being developed in a lot of areas from communications, talking in meeting and doing presentations. to just learning about different areas of business and different ways of working. I think this will benefit me in my further studies as I have learned a lot more about a lot more areas.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
the general atmosphere in my office is very friendly and fun. everyone is very approachable and always smiling and it makes the work environment very enjoyable to be in. I always feel comfortable around everyone and can go to anyone to ask for help and never feel awkward at all.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
the internship was fairly well organised although the IT was not available for the first week and a half so I couldn't access my mandatory training and therefore was limited in what work I could do. there was also a lag in some security clearances again limiting me in what I could contribute to, now ordinarily this may be okay but with me only being here for 12 weeks 1-2 of those being disrupted is a large portion of my time in the business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
we have been given a number of achievable objectives in order to develop ourselves over our time within the business. which may be enhanced with additional training if available although in the short 12 week period that I am here I don't believe this will be possible although even just achieving my objectives will develop my learning.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I do think BAE is a good company to work for it is appealing to come back to the same department as I have felt so welcomed and I enjoy the work that I have been given and find it very interesting. I believe that if the offer came up I would return to the company once I have completed my university degree.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
there was a very good effort made by the company to encourage us to bond within the fist week of placement including meals out and an outward bound course in the lake district to help us bond. these bonds have definitely continued on and we all now see each other on a regular basis outside of work
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
cost of living here can be done cheaply I chose to live in serviced apartments while down so it was on the more pricy end of the scale. socialising is although very cheap and therefore we are able to do a fair few activities as a group on a regular basis.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
there isn't the best nightlife in barrow but we worked with what we had!!!!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
we joined a gym together a fair few of the interns