Design and implement software that makes work easier for the manufacturing team. Websites or windows apps.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
You get to learn a lot. Very good for independent learners, a bit difficult if you want to be taught by somebody. Overall a great working experience. Expect more responsibility compared to university projects. Don't expect somebody else to do the work for you, as it can happen in university.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
People are very friendly and your work is valued. You won't feel like a student working for the company for a year . You get to work on real projects that matter for the company. Depending on how social you are, you can make many great friends to go out with.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
They do their best to help you. If you feel like you need any training or guidance, speak with your supervisor. Even if they can't help, you'll be sent to somebody in the company that can. People are open to help you, but take into consideration that they have their own projects to work on.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There is enough to do every day but deadlines are not too strict. You get to work on a project for 3-4 months. There is enough time for you to learn and develop, but not too much time that you get bored of the project. By the end of the placement you'll work on 3-4 projects.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was treated as a normal full time employee. As a student with no experience you are not expected to make things perfect. Mistakes are allowed as part of the learning process. If you try your best every day , a fair amount of responsibility will be given to you.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
General atmosphere was relaxed, you won't feel pressured. People are friendly and there are occasions to chat to people during lunch break, or at the occasional coffee. There is plenty to do outside the office as well, so it is unlikely that you will get bored. Overall it is a great atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Company is developing other products and always innovating which makes it a good place with many future opportunities. They are open to new ideas and need smart, innovative employees. Many students that did a placement here ended up coming back after university to work for the company. This was also encouraged by the placement supervisors.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a good social scene amongst all the placement students and work colleagues. There were plenty of occasions to socialize. Lunch, going to movies, nights out. The company also encourages socializing. The SSC society are organizing events for students and normal employees to get together and spend some quality time.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked at ASM Weymouth, which is a small beach town. Is a great place if you enjoy sightseeing and / or water sports. Rent is a lot cheaper compared to other places in UK. Food and drinks are almost the same as other places in UK. Overall pretty cheap place to live in.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were plenty of activities to do outside work. Many of the employees are doing different sports and are open to new people. There is a new/modern gym close to the factory. Few of the activities were weekly badminton and football, summer party, get-togethers with the fellow placement students, carnival and many others