Communications and Marketing Summer Intern at RBS

7.3/10

6.0

6.0

Intern working in the Communications and Marketing department at RBS

I have really enjoyed it. The people working here are very open and always willing to help you learn. I have managed to get insight into many different teams across my department, which has helped me to see how the bank functions and the role which communications and marketing plays in the wider scheme of the bank.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 4 roles at RBS

The best thing about working here is that colleagues are open and friendly. I have been able to get in contact with anybody in the department to ask for some help or insight and people are always very happy. There doesn't feel like there is a hierarchy as you might expect and colleagues always make your opinion seem welcome.

My line manager has always been on board with my development. I am able to find time for a meeting whenever, whether that is daily or weekly, depending on the projects I am doing. I am offered regular feedback and advice, which has really helped me to learn fast. I also have weekly catch ups with other early careers management who take involvement in my development.

It can vary depending on what projects I have been involved in. I've never not been busy but I am learning about how to find a good balance. It's often up to you to take on your own workload by offering to get involved in projects and take on roles. Which is great, but sometimes you need to find the right balance so you are not overloaded with projects.

I've felt that since the beginning, even though there is a lot of learning to be done and many meetings to sit in, I have had lots of responsibility and my input has always been appreciated. My manager has encouraged me to lead projects including gathering focus groups from across the bank to carry out important research.

I feel like what I have learned is very different to what I am studying, but they are definitely transferrable skills. Particularly time management, handling different projects at once, presentation skills and learning to be mobile- working across different teams. I also feel like I've learned so much that adds to other skills I've learned in my studies, meaning that I'm much more transferable into a working environment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 4 roles at RBS

I felt like there has been lot of investment in my development. People are always on board, to help me learn, no matter how senior they are in the department. I've also had the opportunity to travel and meet some of the most senior members of the bank which is quite an uncommon opportunity for an internship.

• There were no perks with this Internship

I feel like there are a lot of opportunities with the Grad scheme, which is offered to a large number of people who do the summer internship. The graduate scheme seems like a great opportunity to develop transferable skills and get a wide vision of the department through the six month rotation scheme.

Edinburgh is expensive but definitely less than working and living in London. You can find cheap accommodation but it's also a challenge over the festival time in August- so it's best to book your housing as soon as possible. There are lots of great places to eat which are generally reasonably priced.

The nightlife is good but I'm not really the kind of person that likes to go out late all the time. There are lots of nice bars, where you can grab a drink with colleagues and other friends after work. They can get very busy at the weekend, but it's a good way to meet new people.

I get involved in quite a few activities. There is so much going on and I try to find a good balance of getting involved in activities through work, but also outside of work. Edinburgh is the kind of place where people are really open and you can easily meet loads of different people.