1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my internship at Grant Thornton within the audit department very much from the beginning. I felt it was very well planned out and had lots of support right from the interview stage through to the internship. Everyone was very friendly and willing to help and give me lots of advice and assistance.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by my colleagues. Right from the first day I was thrown into the deep end, even though I had little experience in the field this was a welcoming challenge as it made me feel valued that I was being given tricky tasks to complete that were actually relevant to the team
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given lots of support from my team, every member made me feel welcomed and gave me lots of advice and support when I needed it, I felt that if I had any queries or problems that there were many people I could go to to get some relevant advice
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This varied on a day to day, and even hour to hour basis due to the nature of the job involved. However most of the time I was busy and doing tasks. I did have to ask for work sometimes but this was due to factors out of control of my team(client slow in sending information)
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given plenty of responsibility right from the first day when I was thrown into the deep end. Many of the tasks I was given I had no prior experience on, so it was slightly difficult at the start being given so much responsibility but I enjoyed it and felt valued.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have learnt and developed on will help me not just in my final year of my degree but also when I go into the workplace following university. My confidence, teamwork, Excel skills, resilience have all improved. These are all vital skills and attributes that will help me when I start work post graduation.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was very welcoming and relaxed which made it easy to settle in and not be nervous. Everyone is very friendly and willing to speak to you giving their advice and experiences. This welcoming nature made it easier to begin working and settle any nerves new starters may have.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well organised and began with a week long induction and training that took place in the London office and at the training site in High Wycombe. There was plenty of work to do and plenty of planning had gone into making sure the internship went smoothly and you could tell it was well organised
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested a lot in intern and placement students. They give you a whole load of equipment on day 1 including a laptop. The first week is all based on training and development as you are taken to the London office and training centre in High Wycombe to learn about the firm and train you up for the weeks to come.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects within the firm are quite appealing. Throughout the whole training and internship they invest a lot in you, in return they expect you to perform well and hopefully if performance is up to a certain standard you will receive an offer to join the firm full time once you have graduated.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes definitely, as the first week is away from the office you make good friends with fellow interns and placement students. This means that you become quite close with them and can build friendships. GT focus a lot on this element and make sure that there is a very active social scene between interns and placement students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, there were plenty of opportunities for social activities outside work. There was a summer party while I was there which everyone was invited to. There is also lots of other clubs and activities such as football and cricket teams. There is a good work-life balance at GT compared to other firms and they really value social activities