1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The last 12 months have been incredible. At no point did I feel like an "intern" and I was given real work and a lot of responsibility. At times I was given the opportunity to lead projects, this was something I had never imagined to be a part of my internship.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by all of my colleagues. They all have an inclusive and kind attitude. I built rich connections with those who are of different roles and we were able to have a shared understanding of eachother's pain points and day-to-day stresses, this enabled us to better co-create.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Due to the nature of my role and the business structure, I was fortunate enough to have two leaders support me throughout my year. One who was a technical owner of an application and another who was my design lead/line manager. This gave me a strong wealth of support and access to feedback.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Throughout the entire year I have had plenty of work to keep me occupied. At the start, the environment was more pressured because there was just me and one other person of the same role meaning that I took on a lot more earlier than I had expected. This was not a negative, it just meant at times I was very busy or had to work a little later. Once recruitment of another employee took place the level of busy reduced.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The moment I joined I was the sole designer on the team as the previous designer moved onto another project. I was then given all-new projects by my leadership that I got to design from the ground up. My decisions were trusted and I was well supported if there were any mistakes made.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Not only have I been able to better my skills within my discipline, I have gained a ton of new skills that make me a more well rounded employee. I have developed my presentation skills, stakeholder engagement and have worked in agile - a methodology I had never worked with.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. Employees are given the trust to manage their own workload. There are regular team outings, free fruit and snacks.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I never felt like I was looking for work or didn't know what to do next. My placement had a clear structure and my next steps were always advised by my leadership team.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There is an extensive online resource that enables you to participate in all kinds of training. The training can be role related or something that helps develop your soft skills. Many of the courses result in a badge that is recognised externally and can be posted on your LinkedIn account.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is a social scene that is available for all interns to be a part of. I had a very strong and large team that was made up of a mix of all ages. This meant I didn't really get involved in the intern socials but still had an incredible time socialising outside of work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in London is not cheap. Working in Zone 1 makes things harder because a lof the after work socials are in the local area where things are more expensive. However, it is certainly do-able. Costs can be cut by living further out, cooking meals in advance and buying less luxuries. As long as you budget before moving to London there should be no issue.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?