1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I've been able to immerse myself fully within the bank and been given ample learning opportunities both by HR and my manager. There are significant opportunities to network (it's especially encouraged on Fridays) both inside and outside of my division (and of course across desks).
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The work I've been doing has actually been incorporated into the main package that the team has developed. This felt pretty good. I'm not sure to what extent I would've been able to contribute to another desk but we were able to choose our desks and the content of the work has suited my skill set (stats degree, quant desk).
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
As a general rule I don't feel like I'm lacking any support. We have been given buddies and we all know our managers pretty well, however the entire cohort of interns doesn't have many socials together and this would have been nice.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The workload really varies. I rarely felt extremely busy, but equally I rarely felt extremely bored. as someone who prefers to be completely overwhelmed with work it probably was a little under what I expected but this may be a positive for most. Equally it opened up time to network which was really useful.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
In the area I'm in it would have been impossible to give me a lot of responsibility but they gave me as much as compliance would allow for.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It's taught me python from scratch and I'm now pretty proficient (from a stats background and had previous experience with R).
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office is pretty chill. We're on a trading floor so there's a good buzz to it.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised, they seem to have been through this for quite a few years and perfected the system.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They gave us a full week of training, training videos during and before, and our managers have all been really supportive.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, the grad scheme seems very good
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Many interns go for drinks nearby after work but none of these have been planned by HR for us.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London can be incredibly expensive
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London has an amazing nightlife
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
In terms of put on by other interns yes, and a few events were organised by HR for us as well.