1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a really great experience. Citi is a lovely and exciting place to work! The people are extremely friendly and the rotational programme is amazing as it gives you an exposure in different positions and different asset classes. Thus, it really help you to discover the job that suits you best.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very much valued by my team. People really cared about my work and my learning. The people in my team have spent time teaching me from the very basic skills to higher level thinking. Further to this, both junior and senior colleagues encourage us to speak up, ask questions and stay curious.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management spoke to us informally before the beginning of the internship and throughout the duration took the time to answer questions and offer advice. This was very welcome and helped us integrate into the workflow a lot easier. Along with the general discussions, there was on-going interactions on our staffing, work load and the project pipeline.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was fairly busy on a day to day basis. If not working on my projects, we were responsible for completing internal work for the team and on-going training for our placement. We had a trading game to prepare every week and also it's recommended to meet a lot of people working in different desk to broaden our horizon
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my Citi internship, I was given a lot of responsibility from day one since the projects assigned to me had a real impact on the business, which motivated to work even harder and produce excellent results. This has also given me the opportunity to become more responsible and allowed me to get a clear view of how working at Citi is.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills developed on during the internship included communication, attention to detail and adaptability. I believe putting these into practice and being able to stay on top of responsibilities while keeping our colleagues up to date are key skills that will serve anyone going forward. Accuracy is expected but this involves teamwork and being able to recognize how and when to act/react.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere was extremely good since all of my colleagues and people I talked with were very friendly and always willing to help me, which made me feel really welcomed and valued.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was organized very well since expect from the main projects that I had to work on, my manager also scheduled several meeting with people from different desks of our floor so that I can get a better understanding of the business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Throughout the internship, I had the opportunity to develop many technical skills that are essential for my future career and personal development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects are extremely appealing for me as I have been enjoying my time and work in Citi and I would really want to pursue a career in Sales & Trading and specifically at Citi.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a very good social scene amongst the other interns, whcih allowed me to meet people from different backgrounds and exchange experiences and opinions on different topics.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living and socializing was relatively high in the Canary Wharf area.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I did not experience much of the lifetime that the area offered. However, the after work drinks were always taking place in very nice working environments near work.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, there were many opportunitites to get invloved outside work such as evening talks and volunteering activities, which made my experience with Citi even more amazing.