1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I've really enjoyed working for ALDI this year. The year is split up into two very separate parts ; Store Time and Head Office. Although the two parts of the year are very different, having a rounded experience of the company has really helped to increase my overall knowledge of business and management..
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
When working in store you feel extremely valued by the team once you settle in. It was a real pleasure to work with so many different people in two separate stores. Moving to Head Office, myself and the other Industrial Placement Students got to know the office staff quite well which made us feel valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Throughout my time working in Store & Head Office, I received regular feedback from my Mentor. This feedback was always very genuine and helpful in aiding my development throughout the year. Throughout Store Time, I always had great support from my Store Manager and Area Manager. While in Head Office, all the departments were
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It is no secret that the work expectations at ALDI are extremely high. This is instilled from the day you start at ALDI. In Store, it was initially hard to get used to working 50 hours a week. However, after a few months you get used to the working at such a fast pace.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The amount of responsibility given during the placement is unparalleled. In Store you quickly progress to the Assistant Manager role. The role involves being in charge of a stores sales, orders, and rotas just to name a few. In Head Office, I was given the chance to work on numerous projects on a variety disciplines. Here you are simply given a project brief where you can undertake the project as you see best.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I've developed this year will be invaluable to my last year at University. My organisation, written communication, presentation, and analytical skills have all been drastically improved throughout my time at ALDI. Going from working 50 hours a week to doing 10 hours a week at University will really allow me to transfer these skills efficiently to get myself a solid grade.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is very professional as everyone is working very hard. However, this doesn't mean that people don't have fun. Everyone who works in the office is extremely friendly and very approachable. This has been a major bonus for me as it was initially daunting coming straight into an office environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My Store Time training was very well organised and structured. There are set holidays throughout the year. Initially, I was unsure on how I felt having set holidays.. However, the holidays have been strategically set out to accommodate the associated milestones throughout the placement. In Head Office, our time was very set out and structured.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
ALDI has invested hugely in me throughout my time here. Through taking the time to show me so many different aspects of the business. From Store, Logistics, Operations, Trading and Transport. I've managed to spend time with so many departments and develop on my own understanding of how an efficient business operates.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The chance to come back as a future Trainee Area Manager has been a hugely motivating thought throughout the year. The whole role this year has provided a great taster to what life could be like after University if I had the opportunity to come back as an Area Manager.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I have spent a lot of time with the other fellow placement students. Of which, we have become very close and through working on projects. This is the same with other colleagues that I have had the pleasure of working with throughout my time here as they have all been very welcoming and friendly.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There was no nightlife near the Head Offices as I commuted.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?