1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had such a fun time at cognito iQ. I was given the opportunity to learn so much and to work on big projects for big clients.
The staff at Cognito iQ are some of the best people I have meet. There is always someone to chat with or to take a quick break and play a game with.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the very beginning of the placement I felt that my opinions and ideas where treated and consider exactly the same as a senior developer. Everyone at Cognito iQ are super friendly and really easy to talk to.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
From the beginning and throughout the placement there was always someone who was willing to help and support me with anything I may need.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning I didn't have much to do but that changed very quickly as I learnt more and more about new technologies. Most of my time I did just as much work as any other developer at the company. Someday their wasn't as much to do but that happens sometimes near the end of a sprint.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Every ticket I worked on I was trusted to do it by myself. After I gained a strong understanding for the technologies we were using I was given the opportunity to work on core functionality for big projects.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills that I gained/develop has inspired me to work on new self projects and givin me ideas for my final year project. The skills I have gained/developed are skills that I will be using for the rest of career so I am glad to have been given the opportunity to develop them now.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere at Cognito iQ is very relaxed and fun. The work space is very open so it's easy to walk up to and start talking to anyone. Since everyone is friendly their is always and opportunity to walk up to anyone for a quick chat or to play a game in the agile space.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
And the beginning of my placement I was assigned a buddy who was my first point of contact and helped me settle in and get all set up. As time went on I was given opportunities to work on different areas that I requested so I could further develop my skills and knowledge.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Most of the time what I learnt was by working with others or just from learning on the job. Whenever I needed to gain new information from my colleagues I could book to have a session with anyone. Along with this the company paid for me to do an AWS certification.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
After finishing the placement we are given the opportunity to join back. Currently there are a few previous placement students who have joined back with the company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is a very good social scene with most of my colleagues and fellow students. My team went out for lunch Evey fortnight and a few team would get together and go out in the evening for a meal.
Along with this I took part in a monthly games night what gave me a good opportunity to socialise with new people.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The rent can be quite expensive in Newbury if living by yourself but if you can find a place with another placement student or on spareroom the price can be a good fair price.
Most of the social spots in Newbury are quite reasonably priced and similar to nearby areas.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Newbury is a quite small and quiet town so not much to do but there are a few bars and pubs to go to in the evening. For more of a lively scene you would need to go to reading what is only a 30 minute train ride away from Newbury.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The company runs a monthly board game night but if you had any ideas for extra activities all you have to do is ask. Lately we a few people have started to run a fortnightly game of dungeons and dragons.
In the summer the company also organises tennis session every week after work.