Standard Accounting month end tasks.
Project work to improve/ report financial performance
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Really enjoyed it. All member were very friendly and welcoming. Also had the chance to work on projects with a lot of responsibility.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone understands the impact and importance of other peoples work. All tasks are to add value
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support available when needed and all members willing to help. Weekly 1 to 1's with my Supervisor and Mentor gave me the chance to review and feedback about tasks/ projects I had been working on.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Regular month end tasks to complete as well as several projects throughout the year
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Worked on a range of projects which were reported to directors and GMs at TMUK.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Applied financial accounting throughout the year especially at month ends and year end. Understanding improved attending meetings. Ad hoc projects helped to develop management accounting skills. Soft skills were developed throughout the year and through dealing with a range of people.
Supported with Training courses and OJT
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
An overall professional environment, but more relaxed to my expectation.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Had projects and Training courses set up before I joined. Also had a development plan to stick to.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Several members invested time in me, building my understanding. Also as previously mentioned had several training courses throughout the year with L&D
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Chances to promote yourself if you have the appetite for the training courses and show your work. Quick progression through each level, however may be difficult to progress quickly to management level
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Introduced to other grads/ placements on an open day prior to starting, after that up to the individual to socialise if they want to. PT which can subsidise staff events, also few meals and nights out with colleagues for birthdays etc.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Derby is reasonably inexpensive in terms of rent and general socialising in the city.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Few places to go. But it is what you make it
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, opportunity to help out at external events and be involved with young people