Facilitate transactions between IBM and its suppliers. Sourcing activities, negotiation and strategic selection of goods and services.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company. Whilst the workload is heavy, it is so relevant to the world around us and you are give the opportunity to make a difference.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues were great. I always looked forward to coming into the office and everyone was always more than happy to help.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management was a huge support - they truly want to get the best out of you. Bi-monthly 1 to 1s gave me a space to direct my year and management looked to give me the opportunities I was looking for - 1st class.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My role was heavily client based so I was always kept on my toes and faced extremely busy times. This is not to say I was unhappy about this - it was exactly what I wanted.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Once you build trust and prove yourself, responsibility follows. By the end of my placement, I was responsible for over 15 clients in my region.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Clear development in communication, teamwork and professionalism - these skills will always be essential.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone is very friendly and I always looked forward to coming into the office. If I ever needed help with something there was always someone willing. You get to know everyone personally, from the grads to the VP.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Great training, always had work to do - even had interesting projects available. There were always giveback opportunities available to mix up the average workday too.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Yourlearning gave a perfect platform for personal training and development
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would be very keen to work for IBM in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good, IBM help to get you together as early as possible which builds a great foundation for the rest of the year. There was always something going on on the weekend etc.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?