Regulatory Affairs. Working for DePuy CMW and DePuy Spine. Primarily in registrations.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have really enjoyed my work placement. I have not only learnt loads about the department I work in, but also about the working environment as a whole. Both these areas taught me skills, that can be transfered to any career in industry.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel very valued by my colleagues. I always recieve positive feedback for a job well done. I also recieved an encore award, organising a CSR event. I think, for me, this reinforces that I am working well.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support and guidance has always been readily available to me. As my manager is off site, it encourages me to be proactive when asking for help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was pretty busy day to day. There was always something to do! But this was partly due to the additional projects I took on, outside my department. I wanted to get the most out of my placement, and learn about the site as a whole.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I managed all my requests competely independently. As I gained confidence, I was given more requests and projects. This was very rewarding
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
All the skills I have learnt on placement are useful. Even the small simple things, that you wouldn't necessarily know until you started working fulltime.
One of the main skills I learnt was attention to detail. I learnt how important it is across all job roles. I know when I go back to uni this will be really helpful when writing my dissertation.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere within my team was very good. I found it very encouraging, and I never felt embarrassed if I did something wrong or if I needed help. The office environment, in general, can be competitive, which is just something to be mindful of.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation was good. I was given a 5 week hand over with the previous student, which was very useful.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given access to all courses a normal employ would have access to. I attended Energy for Life and Mental Health Awareness.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The garduate schemes look very interesting, they give you more of a chance to explore different departments, which I imagine will be very interesting.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was only 3 students on my site, and we all lived together, so we socialised together quite a lot.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of rent was very cheap in comparison to Uni accomodation. The rate of living was also very affordable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There wasn't too much nightlife, in terms of clubs however there were bars and pubs in the surrounding area.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were sport classes on after work, like yoga and spinning. They also had badminton and football.