1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement year with Lidl. Due to the fact I had never worked full time before I initially struggled with the hours when working in store. However, when I changed to working in an office environment I instantly enjoyed it a lot more.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
By the end of the placement I was working on warehouse recruitment and felt I was valued as part of the team and received responsibility as I worked on warehouse on boarding.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
After realising I would not want to further my time in sales I was able to spend more time within the training/ recruitment department. With the thanks of my manager, I was able to alter the programme to my interests.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was able to manage my own workload, therefore when I was not busy I was able to help colleagues and ensure I kept my self busy.
When I worked in store I was constantly kept busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The more confidence my manager had in my ability I was able to ask for more workload and develop my skills when presenting at welcome events etc.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I had the opportunity to attend various training courses, for example, presenting with impact. By far this course helped massively in my confidence and presenting is a skill I use often in University.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming! I enjoyed working with all colleagues in store and the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
When working in store I attended fortnightly training courses to help me become a shift manager. My training continued with different skill development courses when I worked in the office.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are many opportunities to work in head office.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We all attended meetings where we could meet up at night for dinner and drinks. We also spent two weeks together when we worked in head office and finished our placement year with a group activity.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?