1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my year on placement - Aldi are a great company to work for. You get loads of responsibility from the start and really get the chance to prove yourself. The work is varied and involves completing 7 months in store and then 5 months in head office.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Working in store gives you the opportunity to become part of a team which is very enjoyable. In head office you complete projects on various business functions such as operations and logistics and the solution/ideas you think of can actually be implemented into the business - so you really do have an impact!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
At Aldi you gain regular feedback from various managers such as store manager, area managers and directors. They all want you to succeed and so always provide development points and areas for improvement to ensure you are continually developing your skill set. Leadership is a key skill that they help you to develop.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The placement comprises of a 50hr week contract so you are always busy. Working in store is extremely mentally and physically challenging and you are always busy working stock, serving customers on the till or completing management tasks such as being the designated safe holder or ordering stock for the store.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Aldi allow you to take on vast amounts of responsibility from the start. This involves tasks such as opening/closing the store, ordering stock, running the shifts and rota planning. You also spend weeks with your area manager mentor and complete tasks on their behalf such as interviews, safe audits and store audits.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement has allowed me to develop a number of skills that have aided my personal development. Working in store allowed me to develop my team work, time management and leadership skills whilst working in head office increased my commercial awareness. I will be much more productive in the time I studying at university this year.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in head office is very corporate and you must remember this at all times. The work tends to be computer based and involves a lot of data analysis. All the people in head office are very friendly and are happy to help with any information you may need.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was well organised in terms of updates with senior management. Store time was planned thoroughly alongside weeks with area managers throughout the year. In head office we were left to our own devices and were allowed to complete the projects set with minimal supervision. This was good as it allowed us to take responsibility for our work.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
All members of management were invested in our training. Time was spent getting us up to speed with processes and then we were given responsibility to run the store ourselves which was fantastic to experience. Regular updates were planned into the schedule to allow discussion of future development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. Aldi are a great company to work for and invest a lot of time in training and developing their employees. There is the opportunity for progression within the business and the work is exciting. It is great to work with like-minded people and people who encourage you to achieve your best results.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes. In store this is slightly harder as everyone on the placement is working in different Aldi stores and are working different days of the week. However, once we got to head office the social side really improved. There are 5 of us on the placement and we all get along really well and enjoy socialising together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home so there was not a cost of living.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I worked just 30 minutes from home so the nightlife was the same as usual.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
A few. Aldi are in partnership with Teenage Cancer Trust and so there are lots of activities to get involved in to raise money for this charity. Myself and the other people on the placement scheme are completing a 10k water wipeout challenge outside of work to raise money for this charity.