6 months in store woking at Assistant Manager level
6 months in Head Office completing project work
Various weeks (about 6) shadowing Area Managers
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed working for ALDI on my placement. The opportunities and responsibility you're given from week 1 is amazing, and I don't think you'd get as much from anywhere else! Working in store was really enjoyable, but extremely challenging and physically demanding, but I loved everyday! It was also great to work with ordinary people! Then in Head Office, I loved seeing different sides of business and being involved with many departments, not to mention working with the other IPs. I've learnt so much this year, and got more out than I expected!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Felt extremely valued by all colleagues. In store it was hard at first as you begin your management training really early, so trying to manage staff who have been there for 10+ years was hard at the beginning! However, the rapport you build with your colleagues is great and I loved working with so many different people, managers and directors!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Guidance/Support throughout store and Head Office time was really good, and lots to work on. I liked this as I always like to be challenged. Sometimes feedback is harsh, but in my opinion that's what makes you improve further down the line! Support was generally good, and everyone was always happy to help me out.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Extremely busy, especially in store. Store was crazy and one of the fastest paced environments I have, and think I will ever work in! In Head office, you will compete project work meaning you won't be running round all day, but you're busy with managing your time, organising meetings, meeting new people in departments and finding out about lots of different aspects of the business, in order for you to present ideas to the directors from the project titles you're given.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Had lots of responsibility throughout the year. From my first week, I was running shifts on the shop floor, dealing with the safe, rota, staff morale and daily paperwork. Then further down the line you complete ordering - which has provides you with heavy responsibility for your store! Similarly in Head Office, you manage your own time and plan your days how you wish! Lots of freedom to complete all work to the best of your ability!
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I haven't gone back to university yet, but I've developed many skills.
Real experience of leadership
And learnt the importance of communication and the feedback process.
These will help me in final year with organising my time better and being more independent with my studies.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was great both in store and in the Head Office. Store was slightly more relaxed whereas Head Office was more serious and slightly more professional. Both environments were fantastic to work in and everyone I've worked with has been very helpful and friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall scheme was extremely well organised and a great structure in place over the year. Store was very structured and grading (assessments) took place weekly which really helped with my development.
Also had various weeks out with Area Managers (your mentor) which again was very structured.
In Head Office, there wasn't really a structure as you planned your own time, but there was still regular contact (weekly) with leaders.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Aldi invested a lot into this year! I think the structure helped make the year run so smoohtly and helped me get the most out of it!n
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, the grad scheme looks great, and I hope to return to ALDI in the future!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Really good social life during Head Office as your hours are more structured and you only work Mon-Fri. You also work with the other IPs which was a highlight for me throughout my whole year! The social part in store is great in work as you're one big team, however sometimes you can feel lonely as you never really see the other IPs/people your age.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived in my student house in Sheffield, but it depends as you do travel around
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
same as above
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?