The job involved analysis of data in the credit card industry and reporting it to senior management.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed the placement, the work was challenging and refreshing ensuring I was rarely bored or thought that the work was mundane. Everyone who worked there were really accommodating and friendly and happy to help whenever you needed it. I learnt a lot over the year from analytical skills such as coding and software in SAS, SQL, VBA to presentation ability by the end of the year I was presenting my work to the head of the business area. The general office atmosphere was a major part of why I enjoyed my placement as I looked forward to going in to the office.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Throughout my placement I felt valued by my colleagues and team. Initially during the placement as i was learning the ropes my colleagues made me feel valued by taking the time and patience to help me learn and develop, as the year went on and I had more responsibility and worked independently the way I was valued increased to equivalent of a full time employee.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support was incredible throughout the year from weekly one to ones with my line manager where we discussed everything from how work was going to my social life. the support of the wider team was also very good with colleagues more than willing to help within and outside of my team.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
During the start of my placement whilst I was trying to learn all the new systems roles and terminology the amount of work that I had on a daily basis was quite small. However as the placement progressed and I became more efficient and able to work independently I became busier with continual projects to work on as well as ad-hoc queries and less regular pieces of work to complete.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my placement I was given various tasks and responsibility's that as the year went on gradually got more serious and challenging until at the end of the year I was handling as much responsibility as a full time employee in the company would. This included the running from start to finish of my teams campaigns and monitoring and reporting of a major project launched by my team.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills learnt over the placement year will directly help me in any degree modules that involve coding and technical software. beyond that the skills will give me a major edge when applying to grad schemes and grad jobs. Particularly the way to conduct myself as a professional in the work place and the confidence gained from this year in industry.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
this Placement Year
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?