1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my placement year, I put this primarily down to the people that I have met during my placement year in particular those within the division I have been a part off. I have found the year as a whole to be eye opening a valuable experience in my professional development.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I found during my placement that i was valued by my colleagues and that they entrusted me with projects and the contribution that I made to them. However being a placement i was not given the complete same responsibilities and hence found it difficult to be of value in certain discussions that we would be having.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager imparted a great deal of knowledge and forewarning on certain topics and ideas from his personal sales career that I may personally have not have learnt until I had potentially made mistake or followed in the footsteps of others. In my day to day role I found that there was no query that could not be taken to my manager for advise or guidance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This depended primarily on the time of year and where were within a quarter or even a month for example month end would often become more busy than the beginning of the month. However I found that I was consistently busy on a day to day business as there was nearly always something to consistently do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
During my first month i was put on a project where I was responsible for implementing certain actions that were required to ensure it as a success. On a day to day basis there was an importance of taking responsibility for your actions and making sure that work was done in a timely fashion.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Although i found my placement to be eye opening and informative to what the work environment will be like in my studies i have found that I use very different skills to those utilized on my placement. Although I believe self-motivation and the time management will play and important part in finishing my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere of the office was often relaxed and allowed for conversation to flow when needed and to stop when it became more busy. I found that people were willing to have a joke and a laugh while the work was continuing was part of part of the flow rather than becoming disruptive .
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I found the placement for myself to not be very structured i found i was more thrown in at the deep end and had to adapt quickly get up to speed by becoming one of the team rather than just an intern. However for me i found this to be more interesting that sitting through weeks of training.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company did not particular push for you to be involved in training if you did not want to be however there was always the option for training courses of both hard and soft skills that could be utilized to try and develop ones professional skills in a number different areas.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Tech Data pride themselves on having a job role for most if not all people, however for me although I have enjoyed my time here i would like to experience other company's and their cultures before i could make a truly informed decision regarding what the prospects are like within Tech Data.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Tech Data do run a social club that can be signed up and at the beginning of the placement there was a group chat set up with all of the interns. However i found that i was more going out with those who were in my team and would organize days and nights out with them,
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I do not live directly in the vicinity of the office however another one of the interns said that the salary easily covered the cost of living. I found socializing to be a bit more difficult as the office is on a business park so we would have to go in the nearest town if we were going to go out for a meal.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I found this to be the same really as socializing as there were clubs for going out however more often than not we would go for drinks at bars rather than heading directly to a club due to general ease and the fact that there are not that many clubs in the local vicinity.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were opportunities that we would organize to go out after work. However unless you are part of the social clubs the opportunities were limited quite drastically as there were not many organized directly by the company. So these usually came down to the interns or those with the team to organize something.